Why in News?
- On the occasion of World Turtle Day on May 23, 2022, Pawan Pareek, project officer of the Turtle Survival Alliance (TSA), said that the number of Batagur turtles that have reached the brink of extinction in the world has increased to 500.
- Pareek said that the Batagur turtles include Sal and Dhor species. Turtles of both species are found in the Chambal river.
- It is worth noting that eight species of turtles are being protected in Chambal river, including Sal, Dhor, Sundari, Morpankhi, Kathwa, Bhootkatha, Sayottar, Pacheda.
- In the year 2008, Turtle Survival Alliance started work on conservation of turtles in Chambal. The Turtle Survival Alliance team collects eggs during the nesting season from the Etawah and Bah ranges and keeps them at the Garhata Turtle Conservation Center. After that the turtles are released from the ghats of both the ranges from where the eggs are collected. According to Pareek, this year 311 were in the nest hatchery.
- The rapid decline in the population of Batagur tortoises has been due to floods, riverside logging, deaths from stealthy mining and fishing nets, and smuggling for meat and fortifying drugs.
- It has been classified in the Critically Endangered category in the IUCN's Red List.
Why in News?
- On May 23, 2022, Chairman of the Public Undertakings Committee of the Bihar Assembly, Hari Narayan Singh, after taking stock of the e-Vidhan system installed in the Himachal Pradesh Assembly in Shimla, said that the e-Vidhan system will be implemented in the Bihar Assembly as well.
- In the e-Vidhana system, a paperless assembly is conducted under which the presentation of the Budget is done through online mode with the exchange of all the Q&A to be asked during the Assembly session.
- The e-Vidhan system in Himachal Pradesh was introduced on 4th August, 2014, which is saving the State Rs.15 crore per annum.
- It may be mentioned that the Bihar Legislative Council on November 25, 2021 became the first House in the country to go fully to the NEVA platform, under which the Winter Session, 2021 was held on the NeVA platform in paperless mode.
Why in News?
- On May 23, 2022, Rajasthan Agriculture Minister Lalchand Kataria inaugurated the 'Raj Olive Store' at Durgapura Research Centre complex in Jaipur.
- The store has been opened to ensure availability of organic vegetables and various olive products to the general public.
- Additionally high grade honey, oil and vinegar made from olives with pure water and organic vegetables are also available at a reasonable price in the store.
- The vegetables in this store are supplied from the Centre of Agricultural Excellence at Bassi of the Department of Agriculture.
- It is worth mentioning that olive oil is a great source of various nutrients. Apart from vitamins A, D, E and K, it contains carbohydrates, proteins, alpha linoleic acid, oleic acid and omega-9 fatty acids, polyunsaturated fatty acids, which are beneficial in cancer, heart disease, diseases associated with bones, diabetes, etc.
Why in News?
- On May 23, 2022, Dr. Ramrao Bhonsle, Director of Women and Child Development, Madhya Pradesh informed that so far 93 thousand 32 anganwadi centres have been registered by 1 lakh 235 different institutions/individuals for cooperation in 'Adopt an Anganwadi'.
- The 'Adopt an Aanganwadi' campaign has been launched by Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan to upgrade anganwadi centres and to realize the concept of people's cooperation therein.
- In 'Adopt n Anganwadi', the collaborators and donors can participate by collaborating on the basic needs of the centres, the individual needs of the children and the health and nutrition arrangements.
- It may be mentioned that there are about 97 thousand 135 anganwadis and mini-anganwadis operating in the state through which health and nutrition services are being provided to children up to 6 years, pregnant and lactating mothers and pre-school education to children in the age group of 3 to 6 years.
- Dr. Bhonsle informed that a support of Rs. 1.98 crore has been received by the collaborators for therapeutic nutrition and medicines for prevention of moderate and severe malnutrition of children in nutrition and nutrition component.
Why in News?
- On May 22, 2022, Haryana Forest Minister Kanwarpal informed that in order to make every village of the state green, this year, saplings will be planted on the vacant land of the panchayat by the forest department in every village of the state.
- This was stated by Forest Minister Kanwar pal during the launch of the plantation drive at VIP Ghat of Brahmasarovar by Haryana Paryavaran Society (HES) in Kurukshetra on the occasion of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- The forest minister said that this year the forest department's target of planting more than 1.20 crore saplings in the state will be met.
- Kanwarpal said that as much as the panchayat land in the village will be found vacant, saplings will be planted on as much land as possible. Along with this, the work of planting 10 to 100 saplings in the Shiva dhams of every village of the state will also be done.
Why in News?
- On May 23, 2022, the National Worm-Free Week was launched by the Health Department across the state in a series of Amrit Mahotsav of Azadi. It will be organised till May 29.
- Under this campaign, children studying in Government schools, recognized schools, Anganwadi centres-play schools and enrolled and out of school will be fed free of cost the tablets of Albendazole to kill stomach worms.
- Under the campaign, all the children who will be deprived of taking medicines between May 23 and 26 will be given medicines from house to house from May 27 to 29.
- The Department of Health, Women and Child Development and The Department of Education will work together in coordination to make this programme a complete success.
- It is worth mentioning that at the national level, every 6 months, to improve the health of a child from one year to 19 years, a tablet of albendazole is fed by the health department to kill stomach worms, so that the child's health remains healthy.
Why in News?
- On May 23, 2022, it was informed by the Chief Minister's Secretariat that for the first time in Jharkhand, the seeds of kharif crop are being made available at 50% grant under the Seed Exchange and Distribution Programme Scheme, initiating the process of seed distribution to farmers ahead of time.
- The Directorate of Agriculture in the state is distributing quality seeds to the farmers through a blockchain based traceability platform, which is ensuring timely availability and quality of seeds to the farmers.
- With this, Jharkhand has become the first state in the country to distribute seeds through the blockchain system.
- In just one month of the kharif season, 101065 farmers have been registered on the blockchain-based seed traceability platform. 123 FPOs have also been registered.
- Along with the seeds, the benefit of other government agriculture schemes of the Directorate of Agriculture will also be extended to the registered farmers and FPOs.
Why in News?
- On May 23, 2022, Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel launched the new unit of Innovation Danex of Dantewada, which is popular across the country due to its textile unit at Katekalyan in Dantewada district. Here 100 women will make garments.
- With this, the Fifth Unit of Danex, Chhindnar, signed an MoU. The MoU was signed between Danex FPO (Farmer Producers Association) and export house Tirpur, one of the largest units in the country of Whole Sale in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu.
- So far, four units of Danex established from Harm, Barsur, Karli, Katekalyan were being sent to Bengaluru, but after this MoU, the clothes to be prepared from The Chhindnar, the fifth unit of Danex, will also be seen in the UK and US market.
- It is worth mentioning that Dantewada has been established as a new centre of textile business through Danex. Due to the quality of the clothes here, the demand for them has increased across the country and the business organizations across the country are approaching them.
- About 16 months ago, in the tribal-dominated Dantewada district of Chhattisgarh, the district administration had set up a Nava Dantewada Garment Factory at Gram Panchayat Harm to enhance the self-reliance of women. The clothes made here were given the brand name 'Danex'. Danex means 'Dantewada Next'. The brand reflects the richness, tradition and culture of Dantewada district.
- In the last 16 months alone, 6 lakh 85 thousand cloth lots worth about Rs 50 crore have been sent to Bengaluru from four units of Danex, from where they are being sold all over the country (from Kashmir to Kanyakumari). About 800 people from Dantewada have got employment from Danex.
- Due to the rapid transmission of units of Danex, not only women have got employment, but the demand for the clothes of the institute is also taking place across the country to enhance their skills.
- Significantly, the women of Danex recently took eleven km. The long chunri has been constructed, which the Chief Minister will offer to Danteshwari Mata.
Why in News?
- The 'Bhagini Maternity Assistance Scheme' for the beneficiaries of Chhattisgarh Building and Other Construction Workers Welfare Board on May 23, 2022 has now been renamed as 'Minimata Mahatari Jatan Yojana' by partially amending the notification issued earlier.
- The main objective of the launch of 'Bhagini Maternity Assistance Scheme' by the Chhattisgarh government is to provide financial support to the working women belonging to the weaker income group of the unorganized sectors of the state for maternity.
- For this, the assistance is provided to the women for proper and adequate food from conception to the maternity, so that the body of the women and the child does not have any food and nutrition deficiency and economic problems in the pregnancy.
- Rs. 10000/- is given under the scheme, out of which Rs. 5000/- is given in the first trimester of pregnancy and the remaining Rs. 5000/- in the third trimester (eighth month). The amount of assistance is paid within 72 hours of receipt of information.
- Eligibility for the scheme-
- Registration of spouse of the beneficiary is required.
- Official verification of pregnancy of a woman worker must be done by a doctor, ANM or Mitanine.
- The wife of a construction worker working in public and government institutions will not get the benefit of the scheme.
- The benefit of maternity scheme will be payable only for a maximum of two times delivery.
- After 90 days of eligibility registration of benefits.
Why in News?
- On May 22, 2022, Chhattisgarh Assembly Speaker Dr. Charan Das Mahant inaugurated the state's first Kisan School at Village Beheradih in Baloda block of Janjgir-Champa district.
- Speaking on the occasion, Dr. Charandas Mahant said that this school is the first of its kind in the country where farmers will be given free training in the field of farming.
- In this school, farmers will be given information in 18 different subjects in the field of agriculture. Both theory and practical information will be available in the training.
- In this school, farmers will be given information about kharif crop, rabi crop as well as animal husbandry, dairying, poultry, fisheries, lac production, beekeeping, goat rearing, vegetable farming management, kosa pest rearing and other subjects in the agriculture sector.
Switch to Hindi