Why in News
- As per a press release issued by the Uttar Pradesh government on May 22, 2022, centres of excellence and mini centres of excellence/hi-tech nurseries will be set up in all the 75 districts in the next five years to promote horticulture and food processing industry in the state.
- These hi-tech nurseries set up by the government in Bahraich, Ambedkar Nagar, Mau, Fatehpur, Aligarh, Rampur and Hapur have already become operational while centres of excellence are under construction in Chandauli, Kaushambi, Saharanpur, Lucknow, Kushinagar and Hapur.
- Indo-Israel Centre for Excellence has been set up at Basti and Kannauj respectively for fruits and vegetables so that farmers can get quality plants.
- Mini Centre of Excellence/High-end at Sonbhadra, Moradabad, Agra, Sant Kabir Nagar, Mahoba, Jhansi, Barabanki, Lucknow, Chandauli, Gonda, Balrampur, Badaun, Firozabad, Shamli and Mirzapur- Tech nurseries are under construction.
- The Uttar Pradesh government has set an ambitious target of increasing the area under cultivation of horticulture crops from 11.6 percent to 16 percent and to increase the overall yield along with processing of fruits, vegetables and spices as well as food processing units from 6 percent to 20 percent.
- It may be mentioned that in the last five years, poly house/shed net has been expanded in 177 hectares to increase the yield of flowers and vegetables, benefiting 5,549 farmers.
Why In News
- On May 22, 2022, Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot inaugurated the Amagarh Leopard Reserve from the Chief Minister's residence on The International Day of Bio-diversity.
- Amagarh, a reserved forest section located on the Aravali mountain ranges, is a forest area spread over 1524 hectares. Being located in the middle of the state's first leopard reserve Jhalana and Nahargarh sanctuary, this is very important from the point of view of wildlife conservation and corridor development.
- There are about 15 leopards in this forest area, apart from this, the carnivorous wild animals are mainly hyena, jackal, wild cat, fox and civet cat. Among the herbivorous wild animals are the wild animals like sambhar, nilgai, rabbit etc.
- This forest area is a tropical, mixed/fall/monsoon forest area. There are vegetations like Totalis, Kumtha, Dhonk, Salar, Goya Khair etc. on the slope of Khejri hill in the sandy plain area.
- It may be noted that as a result of the efforts made by the Department in the field of wildlife conservation under Project Leopard, the number of leopards in the Jhalana Leopard Reserve has been steadily increasing after the year 2017. In 2018, while the number of leopards was around 20, the total number of leopards in the entire area is currently around 40.
Why In News
- On May 22, 2022, the first episode of the scheme was disposed of in Jodhpur by sanctioning an assistance of Rs. 5 lakh under the Mukhyamantri Chiranjeevi Accident Insurance Scheme to the dependent insured family of the deceased in the Kaliberi mine accident.
- The families of the state registered under this scheme will get health insurance of Rs 10 lakh, accident insurance of Rs 5 lakh and the female head of the family will get a smartphone with three years of internet connectivity under the Mukhyamantri Digital Seva Yojana.
- Under the scheme, expensive treatments like liver, heart, kidney, bone marrow transplant and cochlear implants are also available free of cost.
- It may be mentioned that the 'Mukhyamantri Chiranjeevi Accident Insurance Scheme' was announced by Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot in the Budget year 2022-23, which is being implemented from May 1, 2022.
Why In News
- Recently, a report titled 'Status Report on Missing Children' was released by the NGO 'Child Rights and You' (CRY), according to which Madhya Pradesh recorded the highest number of cases of missing children in the year 2021.
- As per the report, 10648 cases were registered in 2021 as compared to 8751 cases of missing children in 2020 in Madhya Pradesh i.e.
- In Madhya Pradesh, the number of girls in missing cases has been almost five times that of boys.
- In Madhya Pradesh, the highest number of missing cases have been reported from Indore, Bhopal, Dhar, Jabalpur and Rewa districts.
- It is worth mentioning that Child Rights and You is an Indian NON-governmental organization that works towards ensuring the rights of children. The organisation was started in 1979 by Air India purser Ripon Kapoor.
Why In News
- On May 21, 2022, NTPC Limited's Chatti-Bariatu coal mining project has achieved another milestone by touching coal seam after digging up to a depth of about 7 meters.
- It may be recalled that the Chatti-Bariatu coal mining project of NTPC Limited started its mining operations on April 25, 2022.
- With this, the digging of box-cut has also started, which will pave the way for coal production to start from July 2022.
- Chatti-Bariatu will soon join NTPC's ever-growing list of coal producing mines along with Pakri Barwadih, Dulanga and Talaipalli.
- The Chatti-Bariatu coal mining project at its peak will produce 7 million tonnes of coal per annum and supply coal to NTPC's Barh STPP (Phase II).
- With the commencement of coal production from this mining project, it will further increase the production of coal from the coal mines of NTPC, which has produced 14 million tons of coal in the financial year 2021-22 as compared to 11 million tons produced during the previous financial year and has registered an annual growth of 27%.
Why In News
- On May 22, 2022, Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel released two short documentaries focusing on the biodiversity of Chhattisgarh and six books by various authors at the 'Discussion and Prize Distribution' programme organized on the occasion of International Day of Bio-diversity.
- He released the film 'Life Icons in Chhattisgarh: Beyond Human Existence' based on the Marine Fossils Park being prepared by the Manendragarh Forest Division and 'Pratham Expression' based on the paintings found in the forest areas of the state.
- Apart from this, the Chief Minister released 6 books of various authors on the biodiversity of Chhattisgarh at the event.
- The Chief Minister is authored by Dr. Shivaji Chavan's book 'Chhattisgarh State Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan, 2022-30', Indian Forest Service officer Ramakrishna's book 'Shades of Past' focusing on cave paintings in Guru Ghasidas Tiger Reserve, Gaurav Nihalani and Gyanendra Pandey released the book 'Eco Tourism in Chhattisgarh – Possibilities and Challenges' by Vasundhara Natural Conservation Committee.
- Similarly, he released 'A Field Guide to Forest Grasses of Chhattisgarh' by Shailendra Uikey and Srinivas T. of Indian Forest Service and "Biodiversity in Chhattisgarh's Soil' and 'Insect Biodiversity of Chhattisgarh'' by Dr. Vivek Kumar Singhal and Dr. Hemkant Chandravanshi Ankit Seva Sansthan.
- In 1993, the United Nations General Assembly declared May 22 as the International Day of Bio-Diversity to increase understanding and awareness of biodiversity issues. This day is also known as World Biodiversity Day.
Why In News
- On May 22, 2022, Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel felicitated individuals and institutions for conservation and promotion of biodiversity at the 'Discussion and Prize Distribution' programme organized on the occasion of International Day of Bio-diversity.
- The Chief Minister announced awards for institutions, individuals and bio-management committees working in the field of biodiversity, conservation of pets, bio-cultural diversity at the event. The persons concerned were felicitated by the forest officials associated with video conferencing from the programme.
- The awards were given in the categories of Conservation of Wild Animals and Conservation of Domesticated Species, Nutritional Use of Bio-resources, Biodiversity Conservation from Civilization, Culture and Heritage and Best Biodiversity Management Committee.
- Under the Chhattisgarh Biodiversity Awards, 2022, the Best Bio-diversity Management Committee, Shahwara, Kanker and Management Committee Chicha Durg in the best institute category were honoured with a prize money of Rs. 50,000 and a citation of Rs. 50,000/
- Similarly, the nutritional use of bio-resources is kishore kumar rajput in the individual category and the conservation of domestic species in the individual category. Padam Jain was honoured with a prize money of Rs. 25,000 and a citation.
- People for Animal Durg-Bhilai in the Category of Conservation of Pet Species And Nature Biodiversity Association in the Category of Conservation of Wild Animals were awarded with a prize money of Rs.50,000/- and a citation of Rs. 25,000/- were awarded to Rajendra Prasad Mishra and Ms. Nidhi Tiwari in the Conservation of Wild Animals Individual category and a prize money of Rs.25,000 /-.
Why In News
- On May 22, 2022, Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel performed the Bhoomi Pujan of the 'State Cancer Institute' to be built at a cost of Rs 120 crore in Bilaspur in a virtual programme held at his residence office.
- Speaking on the occasion, the Chief Minister said that the State Cancer Institute will be equipped with the necessary state-of-the-art equipment for the treatment of cancer and its construction will be completed in the next one year.
- The state cancer institute to be built in Bilaspur will have facilities for treatment of all types of cancers under one roof. The institute will have a 100-bed state-of-the-art cancer ward and a 20-bed state-of-the-art ICU ward.
- All types of chemotherapy, such as targeted, immuno, molecular, meturonomic facilities will be available free of cost at the State Cancer Institute. Here will be treated with state-of-the-art radiotherapy machine.
- Two linear accelerators, cobalt brachytherapy unit, PET scan machine, CT simulator, MRI machine and all state-of-the-art tools for cancer research will be available at the State Cancer Institute.
- Breast cancer, cervical cancer, oral and throat cancer, lung cancer, large intestine and cancer, stomach cancer, liver, gallbladder cancer, bone cancer, blood cancer can be treated under one roof.
Why In News
- Recently, Chhattisgarh's first entry-exit gate model Haat-Market was launched at Barsur under Geedam Vikaskhand in Dantewada district.
- With the initiative of the district administration, this model Hat-Market has been constructed to provide all facilities to the villagers.
- For the first time, a well-planned gate for entry and exit has been built in the Hat-Market, where goods or products brought by villagers or traders are weighed, so that the villagers can sell the goods at a fixed price.
- At the same time, at the exit gate it is ensured that they have received a fair price for their goods or not.
- Being a model Hat-Market, the weight of the goods brought by the machine for the small traders is mentioned in the local dialect.
- In order to protect the food items in the Hat Market itself, dry and cold storage facility has been provided so that the remaining material after the sale can be preserved till the next market.
- About 200 traders are benefiting from the model Hat-Market. The Chief Minister's Hat-Market Clinic Scheme is also being run at the Hat-Market site itself.
- It is worth noting that the Hat-Market in bastar region has a different significance of its own. Hat-Market is considered as the lifeline of the rural economy.
Why In News
- Recently Dr. Uttarakhand Urban Development Director Lalit Mohan Rayal said that the credit rating of eight municipal corporations of the state will be done on the basis of which these municipal corporations will be able to raise funds by issuing bonds for the development of cities.
- The municipal corporations for which credit rating will be conducted include Dehradun, Haridwar, Roorkee, Kashipur, Rudrapur, Haldwani, Rishikesh and Kotdwar.
- In Uttarakhand, the continuous dependence on the government due to low income and high expenditure in the municipal bodies has affected the development work and hampers the discharge of salaries, pensions and other expenses of the employees. In such a situation, getting the credit rating of the municipal corporations done is a step in the right direction.
- The 15th Finance Commission report on local bodies has also stressed on the need for the governance structure of the city and their financial empowerment.
- A municipal (muni) bond is a debt security issued by a state, municipality or county to finance its capital expenditure, including the construction of highways, bridges or schools, etc.
- In order to clarify the regulatory position of municipal bonds and to make them safe for investors, the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) had issued detailed guidelines for issuance and listing of municipal bonds in March 2015.
- It may be mentioned that Bangalore Municipal Corporation is the first urban local body to issue municipal bonds in India in the year 1997.
Switch to Hindi