Webinar on Uttarakhand’s Tourism Potential
- 19 May 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, the 20th session of the Dekho Apna Desh Webinar series was organised by the Ministry of Tourism titled “Uttarakhand Simply Heaven”.
- It highlighted the potential of tourism in Uttarakhand’s two regions namely Kedar Khand (Garhwal Region) and Manu Khand (Kumaon Region).
- Popular Destinations:
- Four pilgrim destinations - Gangotri, Yamunotri, Badrinath (on the bank of River Alaknanda, dedicated to Lord Vishnu), Kedarnath (dedicated to Lord Shiva), collectively known as Char Dham.
- Hemkund Sahib: Formerly known as Gurudwara Shri Hemkund Sahib Ji, it is a Sikh place of worship and pilgrimage site in Chamoli district. It is devoted to Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth Sikh Guru, and finds mention in Dasam Granth, a work dictated by Guruji himself.
- UNESCO World Heritage Site of Valley of Flowers and Nanda Devi (National Parks).
- Jim Corbett National Park (oldest national park of the country) and Rajaji Tiger Reserve.
- Uttarakhand’s Adventure Tourism Potential such as:
- River rafting at Rishikesh and Pittoragarh, winter sports and skiing in Auli (hill station), Paragliding at Tehri Dam (on river Bhagirathi) and Kaushani (hill station).
- Innumerable options for trekking available such as at Chopta and Pindari Glacier.