Kailash Mansarovar in Tentative List of World Heritage Sites
- 02 Jul 2019
- 5 min read
In a written reply in the Lok Sabha, the Minister of State of Culture and Tourism clarified that proposal for ‘Sacred Mountain Landscape and Heritage Routes’ (Indian side of Kailash Mansarovar) has been included in Tentative List of World Heritage Sites of India
- It was proposed as a Mixed site in April 2019.
- As per UNESCO’s Operational Guidelines 2017, a site must be on the tentative list of UNESCO at least for a period of one year before proposing it for final nomination.
- Once the nomination is done, it is sent to the World Heritage Centre (WHC) by the stipulated deadline of 01 February of a calendar year.
- Accordingly, the decision of permanent inclusion of any site in the World Heritage list is taken by the members of the World Heritage Committee.
World Heritage site
- World Heritage site, any of various areas or objects inscribed on the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) World Heritage List.
- The sites are designated as having “outstanding universal value” under the Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage 1972.
- It provides a framework for international cooperation in preserving and protecting cultural treasures and natural areas throughout the world.
- There are three types of sites: Cultural, Natural, and Mixed.
- Cultural heritage sites include hundreds of historic buildings and town sites, important archaeological sites, and works of monumental sculpture or painting.
- Natural heritage sites are restricted to those natural areas that:
- Furnish outstanding examples of Earth’s record of life or its geologic processes
- Provide excellent examples of ongoing ecological and biological evolutionary processes.
- Contain natural phenomena that are rare, unique, superlative, or of outstanding beauty,
- Furnish habitats for rare or endangered animals or plants or are sites of exceptional biodiversity.
- Mixed heritage sites contain elements of both natural and cultural significance.
|UNESCO's World Heritage of India|
|Tangible Heritage||Intangible Cultural Heritage|
|Cultural||Natural||Mixed||Indian Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity