SkillsBuild Platform: IBM
- 11 Dec 2019
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, SkillsBuild platform was launched by the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE) in collaboration with International Business Machines Corporation (IBM).
- The digital platform will provide a two-year advanced diploma in Information Technology (IT), networking and cloud computing offered by the Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs) and National Skill Training Institutes (NSTIs).
- It will further be extended to train ITI & NSTI faculty on building skills in Artificial Intelligence (AI).
- It is a digital platform developed by IBM and it enables holistic learning, aligning it with Skills India Initiative by Government of India.
- India is the 4th country to launch a platform for skill building after the UK, Germany and France.
- It will be accessible online through Bharat Skills – a learning management system for ITI/NSTI students and teachers and is free to use.
- SkillsBuild will focus on:
- Personalised coaching and experiential learning.
- Developing the skills required to join the workforce in New Collar roles.
- Bringing untapped talent to the fore.
- Opening roles to individuals often excluded from the labour market due to disadvantaged backgrounds, lack of knowledge, skill or experience.
- This platform will provide a personal assessment for cognitive capabilities and personality via MyInnerGenius (one of the world’s leading career assessment companies) to youths/students.
New Collar Roles
- New Collar roles focus more on a candidate's skills during the hiring process, rather than his or her level of education.
- A new-collar worker is an individual who develops the technical and soft skills needed to work in technology jobs through non-traditional education paths.
- Example: Technical jobs including cloud computing technicians, database managers, cybersecurity, user interface designers and other IT roles.