SMART Program for Ayurveda
- 03 Jan 2023
- 2 min read
Why in News?
Recently, the National Commission for Indian System of Medicine (NCISM) and the Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences (CCRAS), the two prominent institutions under the Ministry of Ayush, have launched ‘SMART’ program.
- The SMART (Scope for Mainstreaming Ayurveda Research in Teaching Professionals) program aims to boost scientific research through Ayurveda colleges and hospitals.
What is the SMART Program?
- It was observed that the research potential of the large community of Ayurveda teachers remains underutilized mostly. Therefore, the ‘SMART’ program will have a deep long term rejuvenating impact on research in the field of Ayurveda and it will be a great service to the nation.
- It aims to identify, support and promote innovative research ideas in healthcare research areas including Osteoarthritis, Iron Deficiency Anaemia, Chronic Bronchitis, Dyslipidemia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Obesity, Diabetes Mellitus, Psoriasis, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).
- The program will motivate teachers for taking up projects in designated areas of healthcare research and create a large database.
What is Ayush?
- Ayush is Traditional & Non-Conventional Systems of Health Care and Healing which includes Ayurveda, Yoga, Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homoeopathy.
- The positive features of the Indian systems of medicine namely their diversity and flexibility; accessibility; affordability, a broad acceptance by a large section of the general public; comparatively lesser cost and growing economic value, have great potential to make them providers of healthcare that the large sections of our people need.