iDEX and Defence India Start-Up Challenge
- 23 Dec 2022
- 4 min read
Why in News?
Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX), the flagship initiative of Department of Defence Production, Ministry of Defence, has reached a milestone with the signing of its 150th contract.
- The contract relates to an Indian Navy project of the Defence India Start-up Challenge (DISC 7) SPRINT edition.
What is iDEX?
- iDEX, launched in 2018, is an ecosystem to foster innovation & technology development in Defence and Aerospace by engaging innovators & entrepreneurs to deliver technologically advanced solutions for modernizing the Indian Military.
- It provides funding/grants to Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs), start-ups, individual innovators, R&D institutes and academia to carry out research and development.
- The iDEX-Prime aims to support projects requiring support beyond Rs 1.5 crore up to Rs 10 crore, to help ever-growing start-ups in the defence sector.
- iDEX portal was launched to provide wider publicity and better visibility of iDEX activities and enable more efficient running of future challenges through better information management.
- Core Objectives:
- Indigenization: Rapid development of new, indigenized and innovative technology.
- Innovation: Creates a culture of engagement with innovative startups to encourage co-creation.
- iDEX is funded and managed by “Defence Innovation Organisation (DIO)”.
- iDEX has been awarded the prestigious Prime Minister Award for Public Policy in Innovation Category for the year 2021.
What is DIO?
- DIO is a not-for-profit organisation formed under section 8 of the Companies Act 2013.
- It is funded by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL).
- It provides high-level policy guidance to iDEX.
What is DISC?
- DISC aims at supporting Startups/MSMEs/Innovators to create prototypes and/or commercialize products/solutions in National Defence and Security.
- The First DISC was launched in 2018 at Bengaluru.
- It was launched by the Ministry of Defence in partnership with Atal Innovation Mission (AIM).
- AIM is Government of India’s flagship initiative to create and promote a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship across the country.
- Under the program, the start-ups, Indian companies and individual innovators (including research & academic institutions) can participate.
- DISC 7 has been launched with 69 Problem Statements (PS) from Indian Navy for resolution by startups & innovators.
What are Government Initiatives Regarding Indigenisation?
- First Negative Indigenisation
- Positive Indigenisation List
- New FDI Policy in Defence Sector
- Defence Acquisition Procedure 2020
- Defence Industrial Corridors