Defence Industrial Corridors
- 29 Nov 2019
- 1 min read
Why in News
The Government has set up defence industrial corridors in Uttar Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
- These defence corridors will facilitate a well-planned and efficient industrial base that will lead to increased defence production in the country.
- According to data released by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), India topped the list of arms importer accounting for 13% of the trade in weapons platform between 2012-2018.
- The corridors overlap with existing defence public sector companies, and aim to ensure connectivity among various defence industrial units.
- Connecting Cities in Uttar Pradesh Defence Industrial Corridor (6): Lucknow, Kanpur, Agra, Aligarh, Chitrakoot and Jhansi.
- Connecting Cities in Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor (5): Chennai, Hosur, Salem, Coimbatore and Tiruchirappalli.