- 05 Oct 2019
- 4 min read
Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), NITI Aayog and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) India has launched ‘Youth Co:Lab’ which aims at accelerating social entrepreneurship and innovation in young India.
- It was co-created in 2017 by UNDP and the Citi Foundation and is operational in 25 countries across the Asia Pacific region.
- The initiative aims to create an enabling ecosystem to promote youth leadership, innovation, and social entrepreneurship.
- ‘Youth Co:Lab’ in India:
- For Promoting Entrepreneurship: The initiative will convene a series of youth dialogues across several cities such as New Delhi, Hyderabad, Bangalore and Mumbai to promote entrepreneurship across India.
- Focus on Youth and SDGs: AIM and UNDP are collaborating to spread awareness about different issues pertaining to youth, the future of work and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
- Promoting Innovation: The initiative will convene social innovation challenges at the national and sub-national level, which will invite young people in the age group of 18-29 years and start-ups to showcase their proposed ideas and solutions to tackle some of the region’s biggest social challenges.
- They will also get the opportunity to pitch their ideas at the UNDP’s regional centre in 2020.
Atal Innovation Mission
- AIM including Self-Employment and Talent Utilisation (SETU) is Government of India’s endeavour to promote a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Its objective is to serve as a platform for the promotion of world-class innovation hubs, grand challenges, start-up businesses and other self-employment activities, particularly in technology driven areas.
- The National Institution for Transforming India, also called NITI Aayog, was formed via a resolution of the Union Cabinet on 1st January 2015.
- The Government of India constituted the NITI Aayog to replace the Planning Commission instituted in 1950.
- It is the premier policy ‘Think Tank’ of the Government of India, providing both directional and policy inputs.
- While designing strategic and long term policies and programmes for the Government of India, NITI Aayog also provides relevant technical advice to the Centre and States.
- The Governing Council of NITI, with the Prime Minister as its Chairman, comprises Chief Ministers of all States and Lt. Governors of Union Territories (UTs).
United Nations Development Programme India
- UNDP works in almost 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion, while protecting the planet.
- UNDP has worked in India since 1951 in almost all areas of human development, from systems and institutional strengthening to inclusive growth and sustainable livelihoods.
- UNDP India's country programme for 2018-2022 has three major focus areas:
- Inclusive growth
- Environment and energy
- Strengthening systems and institutions
- UNDP Country Office is located in New Delhi.