EPFO’s New Facility on UMANG App
- 29 Sep 2020
- 4 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Employees' Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has started a facility on the Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance (UMANG) App which enables members of the Employees’ Pension Scheme (EPS) 1995 to apply online for Scheme Certificates.
- EPS is a social security scheme that was launched in 1995 and is provided by EPFO.
- It makes provisions for pensions for the employees in the organised sector aft er the retirement at the age of 58 years.
- Scheme Certificate:
- It is issued to members who withdraw their Employees' Provident Fund (EPF) contribution but wish to retain their membership with EPFO, to avail pension benefits on the attainment of retirement age.
- Members become eligible for pension only if they have been, cumulatively, a member of the EPS, 1995 for at least 10 years.
- Upon joining a new job, Scheme Certificate ensures that previous pensionable service is added to pensionable service rendered with the new employer thereby, increasing the number of pension benefits.
- Further, Scheme Certificate is also useful for family members to avail family pension, in case of the untimely death of the eligible member.
- Requirements for Online Application:
- For availing the service, an active Universal Account Number (UAN) and a mobile number registered with the EPFO is required.
- The online application will help members avoid unnecessary hardship of physically applying for it, especially during pandemic times and will also eliminate unnecessary paperwork.
- Role of EPFO in Current Times:
- EPFO was already providing 16 services on the App allowing EPF subscribers to access services during Covid-19 from the comfort of their homes in a hassle-free manner.
- By successfully bringing state-of-the-art technology to the doorstep of its subscribers, EPFO has remained to be a very popular service provider on UMANG App.
- With India witnessing massive growth in digital connectivity through mobile phones, EPFO is making more and more services digitally accessible to members even in remotest locations through the App.
- It is a unified, secure, multi-channel, multi-platform, multi-lingual, multi-service mobile app.
- It is developed by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) and National e-Governance Division (NeGD) to drive mobile governance under Digital India.
- It provides a single platform to citizens for accessing pan India e-Government services ranging from central to local government bodies and other citizen-centric services.
- Services Provided: Filing income tax, EPFO services, Aadhar, Pension, ePathshala, e- Land Records, Crop Insurance etc.
Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation
- It is a government organisation that manages the provident fund and pension accounts for the workforce engaged in the organized sector in India.
- It implements the Employees’ Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952.
- The Act provides for the institution of provident funds for employees in factories and other establishments.
- It is administered by the Ministry of Labour and Employment.
- It is one of the world's largest social security organisations in terms of clientele and the volume of financial transactions undertaken.