Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance: Umang Mobile App
- 28 May 2020
- 3 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has added the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) weather services to the Umang Mobile App.
- By using the IMD services on the App the users will be able to check the weather forecast of their city in advance.
- It will forecast 7 weather related services including current weather, rainfall information, warnings, cyclones, etc.
- This digital initiative of IMD would provide weather service with detailed information such as humidity, sunrise, sunset, temperature etc.
- The forecast services would help in predicting a seven days forecast in advance of any city along with past 24 hours of weather data.
- It would be significant for the farmers to get timely updates regarding the weather conditions and in taking the precautions.
- Overall it would help in the prevention of lives, livelihood and loss of property due to extreme weather conditions.
- Umang App provides a single platform for all Indian citizens to access pan India e-Government services ranging from central to local government bodies and other citizen centric services.
Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance: The UMANG Mobile App
- It is a unified, secure, multi-channel, multi-platform, multi-lingual, multi-service mobile app.
- It is a Digital India initiative of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) launched in 2017.
- It provides seamless integration with popular customer centric services like Aadhaar and Digilocker.
- It provides a unified approach where one can install one application to avail multiple government services.
- It can be accessed on multiple channels like mobile application, web, and SMS which can be accessed through smartphones, tablets and desktops.
- It has a rich multimedia interface with a focus on maximizing usability and enriching user experience.
- Services provided by the app: It is a unified application that can be used to avail a number of pan India e-government services such as: Filing income tax, Employees Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) services, Aadhar, Pension, ePathshala, e- Land Records, Crop Insurance etc.