Why in News?
On 25 May 2023, Union Rural Development and Panchayati Raj Minister Giriraj Singh launched 'Samarth Abhiyan' to promote digital transactions in 50,000 gram panchayats under 'Amrit Mahotsav' in Lucknow, capital of Uttar Pradesh.
- It is known that the Ministry of Rural Development is running 'Samarth Abhiyan' to promote digital transactions in 50,000 gram panchayats, which started from 1 February 2023 and will continue till 15 August 2023 under the 'Amrit Mahotsav' of Independence.
- The major thrust of 'Samarth Abhiyan' is to promote digital transactions in rural areas with special focus on women.
- On this occasion, the Union Rural Development and Panchayati Raj Minister informed that the NPA of Self Help Groups (SHGs) which was 9.58% in 2013, has come down to below 2% now.
- On this occasion, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath said, “In Uttar Pradesh alone, digital transformation has been brought about by BC Sakhis by doing 5 crore 57 lakh transactions. Through this, BC Sakhis have not only provided last mile services to such a huge population with doorstep banking, but they have also helped in saving the resources of the banks by doing smaller size transactions within their premises.”
- The Chief Minister said that there will also be a provision to provide services to every Bank Sakhi in the digital village secretariats being set up by the state government in the villages.
- A compendium of 75 inspirational stories of BC Sakhis was unveiled at the event along with live testimonies & success stories of transformation in their lives by BC Sakhis.
- Apart from this, biometric POS machines were also distributed to the BC Sakhis and appointment letters were handed over to the newly appointed BC Sakhis.
- Around 1000 BC Sakhis from all over India participated in this event. State Rural Livelihood Missions (SRLMs) & other stakeholders from across India joined the event through webcast and the event was streamed live on social media.
Why in News?
On 25 May 2023, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the start of Khelo India University Games (KIUG) 2023 in Uttar Pradesh capital Lucknow through video conferencing.
- The third edition of Khelo India University Games is being organized in Uttar Pradesh from 25 May to 3 June. The closing ceremony of these games will be held in Varanasi on 3 June .
- More than 4750 athletes from over 200 universities across the country are participating in the 3rd KIUG, who will compete in 21 sports categories.
- The mascot of this edition of Khelo India University Games is 'Jeetu', the state animal of Uttar Pradesh, the reindeer.
- It is known that KIUG has started with the group league game of men's and women's Kabaddi on 23 May 2023 at Shaheed Vijay Singh Pathik (SVSP) Stadium, Greater Noida.
- The preliminary rounds & group games of seven other sports- Basketball, Football, Rugby, Tennis, Table Tennis, Volleyball and Mallakhamb also began on 24 May 2023 at three venues in Lucknow.
- Four cities of the state namely Lucknow, Varanasi, Gorakhpur and Noida will host various sports while Dr. Karni Singh Shooting Range in Delhi will host the shooting event.
- The rowing event to be held at Ramgarh Tal in Gorakhpur will also mark the beginning of water-sports with this KIUG.
- It is known that the Prime Minister has paid a lot of attention to further developing the sports culture in the country and encouraging the youth of the country for sports. Various schemes have been started by the government to support the budding players and efforts have been made to strengthen the sports ecosystem in the country. The organization of Khelo India University Games is another great step in this direction.
Why in News?
In the 47th meeting of the State Investment Promotion Council held under the chairmanship of Bihar Development Commissioner Vivek Kumar Singh on 25 May 2023, 67 proposals worth more than two crore rupees have been approved for the first stage. In this, an investment of Rs 793.97 crore has been proposed.
- According to the official information released by the Industries Department, maximum 18 proposals are in the field of food processing. A total investment of more than Rs 435 crore has been proposed in this.
- Apart from this, green signal has been given to the proposals worth Rs 104.75 crore made in 18 proposals of rice mill, Rs 62.48 crore in 11 proposals of general manufacturing, Rs 42.64 crore in six proposals of textile sector, Rs 62.99 crore in four proposals of tourism sector, four proposals in plastic & rubber sector. Investment proposals worth Rs 41.97 crore & remaining six proposals worth Rs 43.78 crore have been cleared.
- Most important investment proposal:
- Two maize based units are proposed in Thakurganj of Kishanganj. An investment of Rs 238 crore and Rs 92 crore is possible in this.
- Proposed investment of Rs 25.57 crore in Amul Milk Processing Unit in Muzaffarpur.
- An investment of Rs 36.88 crore is proposed in the textile unit in Gaya.
- An investment of Rs 38.27 crore has been made in Motihari Resort & Hotel.
- An investment of Rs 14.53 crore was made in the construction of a hotel in Daud Nagar of Siwan.
- An investment of Rs 32 crore is proposed in two units of plastic and rubber sector in Patna.
- An investment of Rs 19.93 crore is possible in the health care sector in Gaya.
- 11 crore investment proposal in air cooler manufacturing unit in Bhojpur.
- Apart from this, consent has been given to 51 investment proposals of less than two crores. A total investment of Rs 52.49 crore is proposed in this.
- An investment of Rs 20.54 crore in 20 proposals of food processing, Rs 84.50 lakh in one rice mill, Rs 11.12 crore in nine proposals of general manufacturing sector, Rs 6.93 crore in nine proposals of plastic and rubber, Rs 4.97 crore in textile sector, Rs 89 lakh in two proposals of small machine manufacturing, Rs 2.24 crore in two proposals of IT and ITES and Rs 2.64 crore in three proposals of health care has been proposed.
Why in News?
On 25 May, 2023, Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot approved a financial provision of Rs 25.90 crore for opening Rajiv Gandhi Center of Advanced Technology (R-CAT) centers in 5 divisions of the state.
- Rajiv Gandhi Center of Advanced Technology (R-CAT) will be opened in Ajmer, Kota, Bharatpur, Bikaner and Udaipur divisions of the Union Territory.
- The new R-CAT centers are located at Kota's Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan Bhawan (Rajasthan Technical University), Udaipur's Vigyan Bhawan (Mohanlal Sukhadia University), Bharatpur's Department of Artificial Intelligence (Government College of Engineering), Ajmer's Government Engineering College and Bikaner's School Innovation Hub (Maharaja Ganga Singh University).
- With this decision of the Chief Minister, youth will get information about advanced techniques of block chain, artificial intelligence, machine learning, robotics and virtual reality etc. Also, certificate courses and multi-disciplinary research will be able to be done in these centres.
- It is worth mentioning that R-CAT has also been set up in Jaipur in the past by the state government. Also, under the aegis of Rajiv Gandhi Fintech Digital University cum Institute, Jodhpur, R-CAT courses have also been started in its temporary campus.
- An announcement in this regard was made by the Chief Minister in the budget for the year 2023-24.
Why in News?
On May 25, 2023, Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot inaugurated the newly constructed state-of-the-art bus terminal at the central bus stand of Sindhi Camp in the state capital Jaipur to provide better basic facilities to the common man.
- The newly constructed terminal will make it easier for the common people to travel. The newly constructed bus terminal at Sindhi Camp Bus Stand will have passenger shed, booking window, best room for office use, modern toilet, air-conditioned passenger waiting room, food court and premises for commercial use for the convenience of passengers.
- Apart from this, the said complex will be equipped with CCTV cameras, WiFi, public announcement system, lift, escalator, fire fighting system and water harvesting system and 15 kilowatt solar plant.
- On this occasion, the Chief Minister announced a 50 percent concession in the fare of all categories of roadways buses for women passengers. With the increase in the scope of concessional travel, women will be able to take advantage of 50 percent discount in the fare of all categories of buses including express, deluxe, along with ordinary roadways buses.
- Satellite and new bus stands are being built in the state. State-of-the-art bus stand is also being prepared in Jodhpur. Fare concession is also being given to the devotees going to Lakhi fairs. In Haridwar, provision has been made for free travel for the people going to immerse the ashes of their deceased relatives.
- Free travel facility is also being given to the candidates going to take the examination in the state in roadways buses. Arrangements for their stay and food were also made by the state government.
- The old pension scheme and RGHS have been implemented by the state government for roadways workers.
- On this occasion, the Chief Minister gave RFID smart cards to senior citizens and specially abled people for free travel in roadways buses.
- It is worth mentioning that a provision of Rs 125 crore has been made by the state government for the upgradation of bus stands. 875 new roadways buses have been purchased and work is on to buy 500 new buses.
Why in News?
According to the information given by the Madhya Pradesh Public Relations Department on May 25, 2023, the Madhya Kshetra Vidyut Vitaran Company has announced a reward scheme for the prevention of electricity theft. There is a provision to give reward under prescribed conditions for giving information about illegal use.
- If the amount is recovered on the basis of information, 10 percent of the amount will be paid to the successful informer. There is no maximum limit on this amount.
- Regarding illegal use/theft of electricity, apart from the Central Region Power Distribution Company Headquarters and Regional Headquarters, Regional General Managers can also be informed in writing or on telephone.
- It will be the responsibility of the concerned officer to keep the informant's information confidential. The officer-employee of the company will not be considered as an informant.
- The incentive amount will be paid to the informer from the company headquarters. The incentive amount will be deposited directly into the bank account of the informant.
- Two and a half percent amount will also be given as incentive to the departmental officers and employees who prepare the case and recover the amount.
- A vigilance cell has been constituted at the company headquarters for the implementation of this scheme. Information can also be sent to this vigilance cell.
'Foreign Contact Programme' jointly hosted by Ministry of External Affairs and Government of Haryana
Why in News?
On 25th May, 2023 the 'Videsh Sampark Karyakram’ Co-chaired by Sanjeev Kaushal, Chief Secretary, Haryana and Dr. Ausaf Sayeed, Secretary (Consular, Passport & Visa, CPV & Overseas Indian Affairs, OIA), Ministry of External Affairs, was jointly hosted by the Department of External Cooperation, Government of Haryana and the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India in Panchkula district of the state.
- The program is a flagship initiative of the Ministry of External Affairs, aimed at further deepening ties with the overseas Indians and partnering with state governments to address issues related to them.
- Through this event, the Ministry of External Affairs apprised the stakeholders and officials of the Haryana Government about the programs, schemes & initiatives taken by the Ministry for the Consular & Passport Services, to promote relations with the overseas Indians and for their welfare and protection .
- In this program, the Government of Haryana & the Ministry of External Affairs brainstormed to strengthen mutual cooperation to solve the issues and problems related to these areas.
- In the program, Chief Secretary Sanjeev Kaushal said that the state government will set up a special 'Non-Resident Indian (NRI) Cell' to address the grievances of Haryana natives living abroad and protect their interests.
- It is known that since the year 2017, six outreach programs have been organized with the state governments of Telangana, Maharashtra, Kerala, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Karnataka.
- It is worth mentioning that the Foreign Cooperation Department has constituted the Haryana Overseas Placement Cell to provide employment opportunities to the youth of Haryana abroad.
The Chief Minister has given approval to upgrade 113 High Schools in the state to Senior Secondary Schools
Why in News?
On 25 May 2023, Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal gave approval to upgrade 113 high schools across the state, fulfilling the announcement of upgrading high schools to senior secondary schools in a public dialogue program organized in the village of Sirsa district of the state.
- It is known that according to the National Education Policy-2020, schools will be upgraded to ensure universal access and availability of education for all students till class 12th.
- After upgrading these schools in the first phase, other schools will also be upgraded in a phased manner by the Haryana Government giving exemption/relief in the rules.
- A total of 113 high schools in 64 blocks of 20 districts of the state will be upgraded to senior secondary schools.
- An official spokesperson said that schools across the state, where the number of students in 9th and 10th class is 80 or more and land of 1 acre or more is available & the nearest senior secondary school is at a distance of 3 kilometers or more, all such Schools will be upgraded.
- 4 schools each in Dabwali & Sirsa block of district Sirsa, 1 school in Nathusari Chowpata, 2 schools each in Raniya and Odha block will be upgraded.
- Similarly, in District Karnal, 2 schools in Indri Khand, 3 in Gharaunda, 2 in Nilokheri, 2 in Karnal, 1 school each in Assandh & Nissing and in Hisar District- 3 schools in the block ।।, 2 schools in Uklana, 1-1 schools in Barwala, Agroha, Hansi, Hisar-1 and Adampur sections will be upgraded.
- In District Jind, 2 schools in Pillukheda block, 4 schools in Narwana and 1 school each in Safidon, Julana, Jind & Alewa blocks are to be upgraded.
- In district Palwal, 2 schools each in Hathin & Hasanpur blocks, 4 schools in Palwal block , 2 schools in Sohna block and 6 schools in Gurgaon block in district Gurgaon will be upgraded. Similarly, in District Fatehabad, 2 schools each in Bhuna, Ratia & Fatehabad blocks, 1 school each in Jakhal and Bhattu Kalan are involved in upgrading.
- 3 schools each in Pehowa & Shahabad in district Kurukshetra, 1 school in Thanesar, 3 schools in Kaithal block in District Kaithal, 1 school each in Siwan, Kalayat & Pundri, 2 schools each in Pinjore & Barwala block in District Panchkula and 1 school in Raipur Rani will be upgraded.
- 2 schools each in Siwani & Bhiwani blocks in district Bhiwani, 1 school each in Sadhaura, Bilaspur, Jagadhri & Chhachhrauli blocks in district Yamunanagar, 2 schools in Ambala City in district Ambala, 1 school each in Saha, Narayangarh & Shahzadpur blocks, 2 schools in Sonipat district Gannaur and 1 each in Sonipat and Mandalana will be upgraded.
- This list includes 1 school in Ballabhgarh in district Faridabad & 2 schools in Faridabad block, 2 schools in Rewari block of district Rewari, 2 schools in Nangal Chowdhary block of district Mahendragarh, 1 school in Rohtak block of district Rohtak, 1 school in Nuh block of district Nuh and 1 school in block Samalkha of district Panipat to be upgraded.
- The spokesman said that with the efforts of the Chief Minister, Pradhan Mantri School for Rising India (PM Shri) schools will be established in the state to raise the level of education in the state and to make it quality. PM Shri is a centrally sponsored scheme for the development of schools.
- PM Sree is envisaged as model schools meeting the needs of 21st century education. Two schools (one senior secondary school and one primary school) will be opened in every block in the state and they will be developed as PM Shri Model Sanskriti School.
Why in News?
According to information received from the media on 25 May 2023, Asmita Dorji, a resident of Jamshedpur and senior instructor of Tata Steel Adventure Foundation (TSAF) & mountaineer, has conquered Mount Everest.
- Tata Steel issued a statement saying that 39-year-old Asmita has scaled Mount Everest, the world's highest peak, on the morning of 23 May. She started her journey on 3rd April and reached Everest Base Camp on 14th April after an 8 days trek through Khumbu region.
- The statement said that on 18 May, Asmita crossed the difficult Khumbu Icefall and completed the journey to Camp-2 on 19 May. She started her final summit trek on 22 May at 10 pm and successfully reached the summit on 23 May at 08:20 am (Indian time).
- Asmita Dorji was accompanied by her Sherpa guide Lakfa Nuru, who is a very experienced Sherpa guide from Nepal.
- It is known that a year ago on 13 May 2022, Asmita had attempted to climb the world's highest mountain without supplementary oxygen, a rare feat even among experienced climbers. She scaled Mount Manaslu (8163 m) without supplementary oxygen on 30 September 2022, becoming the second Indian woman to do so.
Why in News?
On 25 May 2023, an MOU was signed between the Sports Directorate & SAI for 24 Khelo India Centers in Chhattisgarh. Sports Director Shweta Srivastava Sinha and Regional Director of Sports Authority of India Vishnu Sudhakar signed the MoU.
- It is known that on the proposal of the Directorate of Sports and Youth Welfare, the Sports Authority of India has approved 24 Khelo India Centers in Chhattisgarh in 3 phases for various sports in 24 districts.
- In the first phase, approval was given for Malkhamb in Narayanpur, archery in Bijapur & Shivtarai Bilaspur, volleyball in Gariaband, football in Surguja, hockey centers in Jashpur and Rajnandgaon. An amount of Rs 7 lakh was released for each center.
- In the second phase, seven districts have been approved for Weightlifting in Balod, Football in Baloda Bazar, Kabaddi in Patan Durg, Weightlifting in Raipur, Badminton in Raigarh, Football in Sukma and Kho-Kho in Kanker.
- Similarly, in the third phase, 10 districts including Hockey in Bastar, Wrestling in Dhamtari, Hockey in Janjgir-Champa, Football in Korba and Balrampur, Kabaddi in Bemetara, Archery in Dantewada, Archery in Mahasamund, Khelo India centers for football have been approved in Mungeli and Surajpur.
- Out of the remaining 9 districts, the proposal for 4 districts-Sarangarh Bilaigarh, Kondagaon, Gaurela-Pendra-Marwahi & Sakti has been sent to SAI by the Directorate of Sports and the proposal of the remaining 5 districts will be sent soon by the Directorate of Sports.
- It is worth mentioning that financial assistance is given by the Sports Authority of India for the Khelo India Center. High level training is provided to the players here.
Why in News?
According to the information given by Chhattisgarh Public Relations Department on 25 May 2023, five lakh people in the state will take pledge for environment protection on 1 June.
- It may be noted that the LifeStyle for Environment program is being run in the state under the Mission Life programme. Under this program, in the series of programs being organized by the Chhattisgarh Environment Protection Board on the occasion of World Environment Day, a program of pledge for environment protection has been kept on 1 June.
- Under the Life Pledge, it has been decided to pledge 5 lakh people simultaneously in the entire state, so that public awareness can be brought about environmental protection on a large scale.
- In a single day, five lakh people will show their commitment in the field of environmental protection by taking pledge. Taking pledge in Hindi or English, in group or individually, its video and photo can be sent on WhatsApp number +91-7415781776, +91-9109028361, +91-7415796619 on 1 June from 8 am to 4 pm.
- If 5 lakh people take pledge together in the entire state and the number of people taking pledge in Raipur district crosses 1.5 lakh, then it will be a world record.
- The Chhattisgarh Environment Protection Board has urged all the people of the state to become a participant in this grand campaign by taking pledge for environmental protection on 1 June 2023.
- The pledge is as follows- “I pledge to make all possible changes in my daily life to protect the environment. I also commit to continuously motivate my family, friends & others about the importance of environmentally friendly habits.”
Why in News?
On 25 May 2023, Uttarakhand Government Secretary Brijesh Kumar Sant said that the government has approved the State Sanskrit Education Rules.
- Due to this, there will be no problem in giving accreditation to Sanskrit schools in the state. Along with this, approval of the administrative plans of the institutions can also be done easily.
- It is worth mentioning that in this regard, the matter came up in the cabinet meeting in the year 2021, in which the cabinet had authorized the Chief Minister to take a decision after considering it.
- After the implementation of the Uttarakhand Sanskrit Education Rules 2023, appointments of principals, headmasters, lecturers, assistant teachers and other employees in non-government aided schools can be made by regulating the appointment and service conditions.
Switch to Hindi