- 27 May 2023
- 3 min read
Why in News?
On 25 May 2023, Union Rural Development and Panchayati Raj Minister Giriraj Singh launched 'Samarth Abhiyan' to promote digital transactions in 50,000 gram panchayats under 'Amrit Mahotsav' in Lucknow, capital of Uttar Pradesh.
- It is known that the Ministry of Rural Development is running 'Samarth Abhiyan' to promote digital transactions in 50,000 gram panchayats, which started from 1 February 2023 and will continue till 15 August 2023 under the 'Amrit Mahotsav' of Independence.
- The major thrust of 'Samarth Abhiyan' is to promote digital transactions in rural areas with special focus on women.
- On this occasion, the Union Rural Development and Panchayati Raj Minister informed that the NPA of Self Help Groups (SHGs) which was 9.58% in 2013, has come down to below 2% now.
- On this occasion, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath said, “In Uttar Pradesh alone, digital transformation has been brought about by BC Sakhis by doing 5 crore 57 lakh transactions. Through this, BC Sakhis have not only provided last mile services to such a huge population with doorstep banking, but they have also helped in saving the resources of the banks by doing smaller size transactions within their premises.”
- The Chief Minister said that there will also be a provision to provide services to every Bank Sakhi in the digital village secretariats being set up by the state government in the villages.
- A compendium of 75 inspirational stories of BC Sakhis was unveiled at the event along with live testimonies & success stories of transformation in their lives by BC Sakhis.
- Apart from this, biometric POS machines were also distributed to the BC Sakhis and appointment letters were handed over to the newly appointed BC Sakhis.
- Around 1000 BC Sakhis from all over India participated in this event. State Rural Livelihood Missions (SRLMs) & other stakeholders from across India joined the event through webcast and the event was streamed live on social media.