Why in News?
On 26 March 2023, Union Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairy Minister Parshottam Rupala and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath flagged off 520 mobile veterinary units and toll-free helpline-1962 at a cost of Rs 201 crore under 'Animal Health and Disease Control Scheme' from Lucknow.
- In the flag off program of Veterinary Unit, Union Minister Parshottam Rupala said that the Central Government has started Mobile Veterinary Unit for animals at the expense of Government of India and facility like ambulance has been made available for helpless animals by dialing 108. Just as 108 is on everyone's lips for the facility of an ambulance for human diseases, in the same way now 1962 helpline has been started to provide facilities like ambulance to all the animals.
- The Union Minister said that India ranks No. 1 in milk production in the world and Uttar Pradesh ranks No. 1 in India. The reason why India is at the forefront of the world is because of Uttar Pradesh being at the top position in India.
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath said that mobile veterinary units were made available by the Government of India for the protection and promotion of about 6 crore livestocks and more than 6,600 cow shelters have been established in the state for the protection of destitute cattle.
- Now mobile veterinary vans will be operated through Integrated Command and Control Center in 05 zones of the state.
- It is known that there are a total of 12 lakh destitute cattle in the state, out of which the Uttar Pradesh government alone is taking the responsibility of protecting 11 lakh cattle.
Why in News?
On 26 March 2023, Pilibhit Tiger Reserve’s (PTR) Deputy Director Naveen Khandelwal said that PTR has got the status of 'Conservation Assured Tiger Standards' from NTCA for conservation, maintenance and better management of tigers.
- Six tiger reserves of the country have been given the status of 'Conservation Assured Tiger Standards' (CATS) by the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) for the conservation, maintenance and better management of tigers. This includes PTR as well.
- According to information, a letter has been issued on behalf of Hemant Singh, Assistant IGF, NTCA, Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Central Government, six tiger reserves of the country - Kali, Melghat, Tadoba-Andheri, Navegaon-Nagjira, Periyar and Pilibhit have been given CATS status..
- Significantly, Pilibhit was declared a Tiger Reserve in the year 2014. In the year 2014, the number of tigers was only 25. After the formation of the tiger reserve, work was done according to the guidelines of the National Tiger Conservation Authority for the protection and conservation of tigers with the favorable environment of the forest. As a result, in the year 2020, the number of tigers increased to 65. For this achievement, Pilibhit Tiger Reserve was also discussed in the whole world.
- It is known that on November 2020, Pilibhit Tiger Reserve was given the International Level Tiger X-2 Award by Miss Mindori Paxton, Head of Ecosystem and Biodiversity in the United Nations Development Program (UNDP).
- The special thing about this award was that out of 13 countries where tigers are found, only Pilibhit Tiger Reserve of India got this award for increasing the number of tigers in these countries. After this, the effect of increasing number of tigers was also recorded. The activism of tigers increased in the forest and outside areas. However, there has been a decrease in human-wildlife conflict compared to the past.
- It is noteworthy that 'Conservation Assured Tiger Standards' was officially launched in the year 2013. Under this, criteria are set for effective management of target species based on seven standard pillars and 17 basic elements. Under this, the area of conservation of tigers is given an opportunity to test and test.
Why in News?
On 26 March 2023, Rajasthan's Disaster Management and Assistance Department Minister Govind Ram Meghwal inaugurated the two-day National Level Khadi and Village Industries Conference of the State Peace and Non-Violence Department at Daga Palace in Bikaner.
- On this occasion, Minister Govind Ram Meghwal said that on the initiative of the Chief Minister, the country's first peace and non-violence department has been set up in Rajasthan to spread the ideas of Mahatma Gandhi to the masses and through this department, various programs are being organized from time to time.
- Through these programmes, people and organizations working for Khadi and village industries in different areas of the country will get an opportunity to understand each other.
- State Bhoodan Yagya Board President Laxman Kadwasara said that Bikaner's role has been important in the movement to encourage Khadi and many Khadi organizations here have instilled the feeling of patriotism among the people. The role of Khadi can be important in solving the problem of unemployment.
- Bikaner District Collector Bhagwati Prasad Kalal said that representatives of 152 Khadi institutions from different regions of the country are participating in the programme. These include representatives from states like Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra.
- Lectures will be delivered by various experts during the two-day event.
Why in News?
On 25 March 2023, Art and Culture Minister of Rajasthan, Dr. B.D. Kalla inaugurated the three-day Rajasthan Literature Festival (Sahitya Kumbh-2023) at Zanana Bagh located in Ummed Udyan, Jodhpur.
- Minister Dr. B.D. Kalla, on behalf of various academies, honored 7 intellectual scholars/writers with various awards for their remarkable work and excellent contribution in various fields.
- Among these, the All India Magh Award to Pramod Kumar Sharma, Associate Professor at the Institute of Sanskrit and Oriental Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi, from the Rajasthan Sanskrit Academy, Jaipur and Ambikadatta Vyas Award was given to Vaidya Banwari Lal Gaur, Professor & Scholar of Ayurveda and Sanskrit.
- On behalf of Rajasthan Urdu Academy, Jaipur, Dr. Ashrad Abdul Hameed (Tonk) was awarded by Prof. Mahmood Shirani Award and Akhtar Shirani Award to Adil Raza Mansuri (Jaipur), Eminent children's writers Dr. Divik Ramesh (Delhi) and Dr. Prabodh Kumar Govil (Jaipur) and artistic and multifaceted creative writer Chand Mohammad Ghosi (Merta) were honored with the Children's Literature Manishi Award of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru Children's Literature Academy, Jaipur.
- Padma Shri Chandraprakash Deval was awarded Pt Janardan Rai Nagar Award, Habib Kaifi and Shivraj Chhangani were given special literary honors on behalf of Rajasthan Sahitya Academy at the ceremony.
Why in News?
On 26 March 2023, Union Minister Piyush Goyal shared information on social media that Sundarja mangoes of Rewa district of Madhya Pradesh and Gajak of Morena have been given GI tag.
- Significantly, the Sundarja mango is found in abundance in Govindgarh town of Rewa district of Madhya Pradesh. This is a special species of mango, the king of fruits. Sundarja is not only the choice of the people of India but it is also discussed in foreign countries. The specialty of Sundarja mango is that it is fiber-free and the type of sugar found in it is such that it can be consumed even by sugar patients.
- Sundarja mango, considered the pride of Vindhya region, was earlier produced in the gardens of Govindgarh fort in Rewa district, but later it is cultivated in abundance in Govindgarh area as well as Kuthulia fruit research center adjacent to Rewa city.
- However, the Sundarja mango grown in the Govindgarh orchards is light white in color while the Sundarja mango produced in the Kuthulia Fruit Research Center in Rewa is light green.
- The popularity of Sundarja mango can also be gauged from the fact that in the year 1968 a postal stamp was issued in the name of this mango.
- Whereas, Morena's Gajak is a type of sweet. If Morena's name is associated with Gajak, then people consider it best for quality and taste. That's why the taste of Morena's Gajak is famous all over the country.
- Gazak making is the main industry of Morena. In a small district like Morena, there are more than a thousand Gajak shops. When it comes to sweets made of jaggery and sesame, Gajak is considered the best. People use this gajak throughout the year, but in winter it is considered beneficial.
- It is known that in the recent food festival organized at Pragati Maidan in Delhi, Morena's Gajak was very much liked by the delegates from Italy, Dubai, Britain.
- Significantly, the regional product of any region gives the identity of that region. When the fame of that product spreads in the country and the world, there is a process to certify it, which is called 'GI Tag' i.e. Geographical Indicator (Geographical Indicator). The process of certification of a specific product of a sector was started in the year 2003. That's why GI tag was started in 2003. The first GI tag in India was given to Darjeeling Tea of West Bengal in 2004.
- GI tag is given to the special item of any area which cannot be found anywhere else except that area. The GI tag is issued by the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade, which operates under the Ministry of Commerce.
- It is notable that along with Sundarja Mango and Gajak of Morena, Nagari Dubraj rice of Dhamtari district of Chhattisgarh has also got GI tag.
Why in News?
On 25 March 2023, Union Environment, Forest and Climate Change Minister Bhupendra Yadav in a program organized on the occasion of International Forest Day inaugurated the 'Aravalli Green Wall Project' in Tikli village of Gurugram district, Haryana.
- The Aravalli Green Wall Project aims to green a buffer area of about 5 km of the Aravalli mountain range spread over five states.
- During the event, Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change Bhupendra Yadav unveiled an action plan to combat desertification and land degradation through forestry and FAQs on agroforestry published by the Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education.
- The Aravalli Green Wall Project will not only increase the green cover and biodiversity of Aravalli through afforestation, reforestation and restoration of water sources, but will also improve soil fertility, water availability and climate of the region.
- The project will benefit local communities by providing employment opportunities, income generation and ecosystem services.
- In the initial phase of the Aravalli Green Wall Project in Haryana, 75 water sources will be rejuvenated under the project, which began on 25 March with five water sources in each district of the Aravalli landscape.
- The project will also involve massive tree plantation drive and conservation of water resources in the Aravalli region. The project will cover barren land in Gurugram, Faridabad, Bhiwani, Mahendragarh and Rewari districts.
- Voluntary organizations, Society for Geoinformatics and Sustainable Development and NGO, IMGurugram are engaged in mobilizing people for the purpose of Shramdaan for the revival of water bodies at Bandhwadi and Ghatbandh respectively.
- It is noteworthy that the Aravalli Green Wall Project is part of the Union Forest Ministry's vision to create green corridors across the country to combat land degradation and desertification. The project covers the states of Haryana, Rajasthan, Gujarat and Delhi where the Aravalli hills are spread over an area of 6 million hectares.
- The project will involve rejuvenating and restoring surface water sources such as ponds, lakes and rivers, as well as planting native species of trees and shrubs on scrub, barren land and degraded forest land.
- The project will also focus on agro-forestry and grassland development to enhance the livelihood of local communities.
- The Aravali Green Wall Project has the following objectives-
- Improving the ecological health of the Aravalli range.
- Preventing the eastward expansion of the Thar Desert and reducing land degradation by creating green barriers that will prevent soil erosion, desertification and dust storms.
- This green wall will help reduce carbon sequestration and climate change by planting native tree species in the Aravalli region, providing habitat for wildlife and enhancing the biodiversity and ecosystem services of the Aravalli Range by improving the quality and quantity of water Will do
- To promote sustainable development and livelihood opportunities by involving local communities in afforestation, agro-forestry and water conservation activities that will lead to income, employment, food security and social benefits.
- The project will be executed by various stakeholders such as central and state governments, forest departments, research institutes, civil society organizations, private sector entities and local communities. To ensure the success of the project, work will be done on adequate financing, technical skills, policy coordination and public awareness etc.
- Contribute to India's commitments under various international conventions such as UNCCD (United Nations Convention to Combat Diversification), CBD (Convention on Biological Diversity) and UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change).
- To advance India's image as a global leader in environmental protection and green development.
Why in News?
On 25 March 2023, in the finals of the Women's World Boxing Championship at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Sports Complex in New Delhi, two players from Haryana - Neetu Ghanghas and Sweety Boora brought laurels to Haryana and India by winning gold medals.
- It is known that Neetu Ghanghas is a resident of Dhanana village in Bhiwani district of the state and Sweety Bura is from Ghirai village of Hisar district.
- Neetu Ghanghas' final bout in the 45-48 kg category was against Mongolia's Lutshekhan Altantseg. In this match, Neetu won the gold medal by defeating the boxer of Mongolia 5-0, displaying her brilliant game.
- It is noteworthy that Neetu Ghanghas had made India and Haryana proud by winning the gold medal in the Commonwealth Games last year.
- On the other hand, Sweety Boora won the gold medal by defeating China's Wang Lina in the 81 kg weight category. Sweety won the bout by a 4-3 split decision. Earlier, Sweety Boora had won the silver medal in the same competition nine years back.
Why in News?
On 26 March 2023, officials of the Sports and Youth Welfare Department said that Tuleshwar Khusro of Sports Academy Bilaspur has won the gold medal in the Dus Ka Dum archery competition organized by the Sports Authority of India and State Archery Association for women in district Raipur.
- The officials of the department said that in the Dus Ka Dum archery competition, the player of the archery training sub-centre operated in Shivtarai village of Bilaspur, Ms. Tuleshwari Khusro won the gold medal by scoring 656 points in the Indian round and Ms. Divya Yadav secured the third position by scoring 647 marks.
- It is known that the Sports and Youth Welfare Department is constantly promoting sports in the state, for which sports academies are being started in the state, where players are being given quality training with the highest level of facilities.
- By the Sports Authority of India, B. R. Yadav State Sports Training Center has been approved as Khelo India State Center of Excellence, under which Hockey Academy started from June 2022 and Archery and Athletic Academy from November 2022.
- In these academies, training is being made available to the players through nationally renowned coaches along with free residential arrangements, due to which in less than a year the players have earned medals at the national level and have also qualified for international level competition.
- In these, Amit Kumar won the 33rd West Zone Athletic Championship, Raipur, Gold in the Walk Race of 10 km, Ankit Ahlawat won gold medal in National Inter District Athletic Meet, Andhra Pradesh, Bronze medal in Discus Throw, Arjun Kovachi won 3rd Eklavya Residential School National Sports Meet, Andhra Pradesh, Gold Medal in Race of 1500 m Gitesh Yadav Won Silver Medal in 4th Khelo India East Zone Archery Championship, Kolkata, Indian Round and Amit Kumar Qualifies for Asian Championship with Bronze Medal in Walk Race at National Athletic Championship, Bangalore, and Aditya Kumar selected for Junior India camp.
- Archery training sub-centre has been sanctioned by the state government in village Shivtarai, district Bilaspur, which has also been marked as Khelo India mini-centre. With the opening of the training sub-centre, free training is being provided to the players by providing them with diet money as well as Indian and recurve bows.
- Within 1 year of starting the academy, the players here have earned medals at the national level. Among these, Kuber Singh Jagat won gold medal in the 4th Khelo India East Zone Archery Championship, Kolkata, Indian Round and Vikas Kumar, Ajay Kumar and Kuber Singh Jagat won Silver Medal in 42nd NTPC Junior National Archery Championship Goa, Indian Round.
Why in News?
On 26 March 2023, an MoU was signed between the Health Department and Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) in the presence of Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami, to install 50 health ATMs on the yatra routes in order to provide better health facilities to the pilgrims visiting Chardham Yatra in Uttarakhand for the first time.
- On this occasion, Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami said that installation of health ATMs in Chardham Yatra will provide a lot of convenience to the devotees.
- Ankur Malhotra, Director of Hewlett Packard Enterprise, informed that health ATMs are being made available for Chardham Yatra under CSR, in which more than 70 tests can be done.
- Along with the test, specialist doctors can be consulted through telemedicine from the Health ATM. These services will be provided 24 hours by Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
- The Health ATM will be looked after by the company's engineers for the next three months. Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami will inaugurate it on April 24, 2023.
- The Chief Minister said that the facility of Health ATM should also be provided by Hewlett Packard Enterprise for the holy places Manasarovar Yatra, Baijnath Dham, Kainchi Dham, Purnagiri, Chitai Dham located in Manskhand. On the lines of Kedarkhand, Health ATM Medical Kiosk machines will be made available under CSR for Manskhand.
- Health facilities are being constantly improved so that the devotees do not face any health related problems during the Chardham Yatra.
Why in News?
On 25 March 2023, Health Secretary of Uttarakhand, Dr. R. Rajesh Kumar said that under the Maternal Health Program in the state, the central government has approved the proposal to provide a facility of Birth Waiting Home to high-risk pregnant women before the expected date of delivery.
- The facility of birth waiting homes will be done in a one stop center and working women's hostel established in all 13 districts of the state.
- To reduce the problem of malnutrition among children in the age group of 1 month to 5 years in the state, a nutrition rehabilitation center will be set up in border district Pithoragarh. In this center, malnourished and highly malnourished children will be admitted, and nutritional care will be provided according to the standards.
- Health Secretary Dr.R. Rajesh Kumar said that the Health Ministry has approved a budget of 150 crores for various schemes under the National Health Mission.
- Under the scheme, pregnant women living in remote areas will get timely medical care. Along with this, pregnant women will be comfortable before delivery. To encourage home delivery in institutional delivery, birth waiting homes will be used in community health centers of hilly districts.
- The Health Secretary informed that mobile TB vans will be started in Dehradun, Haridwar, Pauri, Udham Singh Nagar and Nainital districts, in which X-ray and TrueNet machines will be installed for testing.
- Almora, Bageshwar, Chamoli, Champawat, Pithoragarh, Rudraprayag, Tehri, Uttarkashi were given consent in the Mobile Medical Unit with Mobile X-Ray. This will make it easier to screen TB patients. Approval has been given to provide mobile van facility for cataract screening in Tehri and Pithoragarh districts.
- ANM and Community Medical Officer will be given training in Basic Life Support. NHM office and training hall has been approved in Chamoli district.
- Queue management systems will be started in 14 hospitals to get rid of long queues for making slips of patients. In this, a token will be given to the patients, so that they do not have to stand in line. Apart from this, vacant posts in Community Health Center Bhupatwala will be filled through NNM.
Switch to Hindi