Why in News?
On 26 March 2023, Union Minister Piyush Goyal shared information on social media that Sundarja mangoes of Rewa district of Madhya Pradesh and Gajak of Morena have been given GI tag.
- Significantly, the Sundarja mango is found in abundance in Govindgarh town of Rewa district of Madhya Pradesh. This is a special species of mango, the king of fruits. Sundarja is not only the choice of the people of India but it is also discussed in foreign countries. The specialty of Sundarja mango is that it is fiber-free and the type of sugar found in it is such that it can be consumed even by sugar patients.
- Sundarja mango, considered the pride of Vindhya region, was earlier produced in the gardens of Govindgarh fort in Rewa district, but later it is cultivated in abundance in Govindgarh area as well as Kuthulia fruit research center adjacent to Rewa city.
- However, the Sundarja mango grown in the Govindgarh orchards is light white in color while the Sundarja mango produced in the Kuthulia Fruit Research Center in Rewa is light green.
- The popularity of Sundarja mango can also be gauged from the fact that in the year 1968 a postal stamp was issued in the name of this mango.
- Whereas, Morena's Gajak is a type of sweet. If Morena's name is associated with Gajak, then people consider it best for quality and taste. That's why the taste of Morena's Gajak is famous all over the country.
- Gazak making is the main industry of Morena. In a small district like Morena, there are more than a thousand Gajak shops. When it comes to sweets made of jaggery and sesame, Gajak is considered the best. People use this gajak throughout the year, but in winter it is considered beneficial.
- It is known that in the recent food festival organized at Pragati Maidan in Delhi, Morena's Gajak was very much liked by the delegates from Italy, Dubai, Britain.
- Significantly, the regional product of any region gives the identity of that region. When the fame of that product spreads in the country and the world, there is a process to certify it, which is called 'GI Tag' i.e. Geographical Indicator (Geographical Indicator). The process of certification of a specific product of a sector was started in the year 2003. That's why GI tag was started in 2003. The first GI tag in India was given to Darjeeling Tea of West Bengal in 2004.
- GI tag is given to the special item of any area which cannot be found anywhere else except that area. The GI tag is issued by the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade, which operates under the Ministry of Commerce.
- It is notable that along with Sundarja Mango and Gajak of Morena, Nagari Dubraj rice of Dhamtari district of Chhattisgarh has also got GI tag.
Switch to Hindi