Why In News?
On August 7, 2022, annu rani, a female javelin thrower from Bahadurpur village in Meerut, created history by winning a bronze medal in the women's javelin throw at the ongoing Commonwealth Games-2022 in Birmingham.
- Annu Rani threw the javelin 60m away in her third attempt to finish third. World champion Kelsey Le Barber of Australia won the gold with a throw of 64.43m, while her compatriot MacKenzie Little won the silver with a throw of 64.27m.
- Annu Rani, popularly known as javelin queen, has become the first woman javelin thrower to achieve this feat in the javelin event of the Commonwealth Games by winning a bronze medal.
- Before Annu Rani, Kashinath Nayak and Olympic champion Neeraj Chopra have won bronze and gold medals respectively in the men's javelin throw event at the Commonwealth Games. Nayak won medals at the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games, while Chopra won medals in the 2018 Gold Coast.
- Annu Rani participated in the Tokyo Olympics-2021, but she could not win a medal. She also holds the record for the first Indian woman to make it to the final of the World Championships-2019. Apart from this, Annu Rani has won a silver medal in asian championships-2019, bronze medal in Asian championships-2017, silver medal in South Asian Games-2016 and bronze medal in Asian Games-2014.
Why In News?
Recently, the 106-year-old astronomical observatory established at Langat Singh College in Muzaffarpur district of Bihar has been included in UNESCO's endangered heritage list.
- This observatory is the first of its kind in eastern India. It was established in 1916 to impart astronomical knowledge to the students on the said college campus.
- Principal of Langat Singh College O. P. A planetarium was also set up at the college in 1946, Roy said. After 1970 the position of the observatory as well as the constellation began to decline gradually and most of the machines installed there have either been lost or turned into junk.
- After being included in UNESCO's list of endangered heritage observatories, hopes of reviving and preserving it have now been raised.
- As per college records, Prof. Romesh Chandra Sen had consulted J Mitchell (an astronomer and principal of Wesleyan College, Bankura in West Bengal) in February 1914, taking the initiative to set up an astronomical observatory in the college. In 1915, a telescope, astronomical clock, chronograph and other instruments were obtained from England and in 1916 the Astronomical Observatory started working.
Why In News?
On August 7, 2022, Rajasthan Industries and Commerce Commissioner Mahendra Kumar Parakh launched the National Handloom Week at the World Trade Park, jaipur's largest and busiest mall, in a bid to connect weavers and handicraftsmen of Rajasthan with the market.
- It is worth mentioning that NABARD is celebrating Handloom and Handicraft Week from August 7 to August 11 to showcase and sell the products of weavers and handicraftsmen of different districts of Rajasthan.
- Under the National Handloom Week, 10 stalls of products brought by weavers and craftsmen from different districts of the state have been set up.
- Various products are being sold in these stalls, embroidered products from Barmer, Salawas ki Dari from Jodhpur, Pottery products from Udaipur, Kota Doria sarees, suits, dress material etc., Kishangarh art style paintings and Gulkand products from Ajmer, leather Rajasthani shoe products from Sikar and Alwar, wooden paintings from Alwar and Bagru prints from Bagru in Jaipur etc.
Why In News?
On August 7, 2022, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, while addressing the 7th meeting of the Governing Council of NITI Aayog chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at Rashtrapati Bhavan, said that Madhya Pradesh will contribute $ 550 billion to make India a $ 5 trillion economy.
- In the meeting, the Chief Minister informed that the roadmap of self-reliant Madhya Pradesh was developed in the state in the year 2020 itself. Madhya Pradesh has achieved a growth rate of 19.74 percent in the year 2021-22.
- The state is spending 4 percent of the GDP and a provision of Rs 48 thousand 800 crore has been made for capital expenditure for the financial year 2022-23 , which is the highest ever.
- The Chief Minister said that the area under mustard and summer moong has registered an increase in the state. Production of pulses, ragi, barley, coarse cereals , kodo-kutki, ramtil, sesame, spices, medicinal crops, fruits and vegetables is being promoted through the Agricultural Diversification Incentive Scheme in place of wheat and paddy.
- Under this scheme, 13 proposals have been received from private companies like ITC, Patanjali, Dehat in agricultural diversification in one lakh 86 thousand hectare area, out of which two proposals have been approved.
- Chief Minister Shri Chouhan informed that Devaranya Yojana has been started by the state government, in which medicinal plants will be produced in 10 thousand hectares of land in three years. In the last 5 years, bamboo has been produced in mission mode in an area of 11 thousand hectares in the state. State Natural Farming Board has been constituted in Madhya Pradesh to promote natural farming.
- Giving information about the use of modern technology in farming, the Chief Minister said that crop insurance registration has been linked to the land records of the state, which has succeeded in preventing over and duplicate insurance. Also, satellite-based remote sensing technology is being used for yield assessment in insurance payments. With these effective use of technology, there is a potential to save about Rs 2500 crore in the agriculture sector.
- E-Girdawari application has been implemented for the convenience of farmers and revenue staff. 'Farm Gate App' has also been developed to sell their produce to farmers at a reasonable price from their homes. It has been decided to pay subsidy in agricultural machinery in the state through e-RUPI vouchers.
- Discussing the implementation of the National Education Policy, the Chief Minister said that Madhya Pradesh has made a big jump in the National Achievement Survey for the year 2021 and reached the 5thposition in the country. A successful campaign is being run to connect the public in the rejuvenation of anganwadis through the 'Adopt an Anganwadi' campaign in the state.
- The Chief Minister said that from the session 2022-23, M.S.B.B.S. The study is being started in Hindi medium. Also, in 6 engineering colleges of the state, B. Tech. Arrangements have been made to study in the Hindi of the program and diploma course in 6 polytechnic colleges.
- Giving information about the initiatives being taken towards good governance in the state, the Chief Minister said that for the first time in the country, the State Statistical Commission has been constituted in the state, through which the work of collecting and analyzing data from the development block to the state level will be done. A mechanism for their development has been developed by determining 50 aspirational development blocks in the state. A new water policy and a new cooperative policy are also being formulated in the state.
Why In News?
On August 7, 2022, several weavers and craftsmen, including orchard print craftsman Rashida Bi, selected for the National Award Year-2021, were felicitated at the 8th National Handloom Day celebrations held at Gauhar Mahal to honour the art of handloom craftsmen and weavers and enrich the handloom industry.
- Principal Secretary, Cottage and Village Industries Smita Bhardwaj and Commissioner--Managing Director Handlooms, Sant Ravidas Madhya Pradesh Handicrafts and Handloom Development Corporation Anubha Srivastava felicitated the weavers and craftsmen at the function.
- Bag print craftsman Rashida Bi, who was selected for the National Award for the year 2021, was felicitated at the ceremony. It is noteworthy that orchard craftsman Rashida Bi has been selected for the National Award by the Union Ministry of Textiles. He will get this award on the fine workmanship of the garden print on the sheet.
- He has mastered the art of stamp printing in village Bagh of Dhar district. Earlier, he has received state-level awards in the year 2012 and 2014. He is the world famous UNESCO Award winning master craftsman of garden print. Abdul Kader is khatri's wife.
- On the occasion of National Handloom Day, sarees developed by weavers of Chanderi, featuring khajuraho temple and sanchi stupa design and Maheshwar fort design, showcasing the unique heritage designs of carvings done on the architectural heritage and heritage of Madhya Pradesh in the traditional handloom cluster Chanderi, were felicitated.
- Among them, Kalawati Koli for the design of Khajuraho Temple, Ghanshyam Koli for the design of Sanchi Stupa, Mohammad Gufran Ahmed for the design of Maheshwar Fort and Mohammad Abdul Aman for graph design of Maheshwar Fort were honored.
Why In News?
On August 6, 2022, Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar inaugurated the Driving Training and Research Institute in Karnal.
- On this occasion, the Chief Minister said that 300 to 350 youth will be trained to drive light and heavy motor vehicles every day in this center. Good driving training will provide good drivers and reduce road accidents.
- Significantly, the foundation stone of this institute was laid by the Chief Minister on March 29, 2018 . He had also announced the opening of this institute in Karnal on December 14, 2016 .
- Set up on 9.25 acres of land at a cost of around Rs 34 crore, the centre has been set up in collaboration with Honda Motor Scooter India Limited.
- Based on international standards, the institute has class rooms, workshops, engine rooms and electronic displays with automated driving test tracks, modern training equipment and computerized systems.
- Training will be given in driving two-wheelers, three-wheelers, four-wheelers, light motors and heavy vehicles. The centre will also have an automated driving test track to impart practical training on the test track and issue driving licences.
- The institute will be fully automated and there will be no human intervention in its functioning. A hostel has also been built for distant students in the center.
- The Chief Minister said that many road accidents occur due to lack of skills and knowledge of road rules with the drivers. Therefore, it has been planned to provide training to the youth aspiring to become drivers to provide them appropriate training.
- Automatic driver training institutes and regional driver training centers will be set up across the state for adequate arrangements for training of drivers in the state. Under this, three driver training and research institutes equipped with modern facilities and infrastructure have been established in Kaithal, Bahadurgarh and Rohtak. Original equipment manufacturers like Ashok Leyland and Maruti Suzuki India Limited are partners in these three projects.
- Apart from these, 8 other institutions are going to open. These include Kaluwas in Bhiwani district, Chapeda in Nuh, Jaisinghpur Khera in Rewari, Pega in Jind, Murthal in Sonipat, Aurangabad in Yamunanagar, Bahin in Palwal and Kheri Gujran in District Faridabad. A Regional Driver Training Centre will also be set up in District Gurugram.
- After obtaining a training certificate for driving a motor vehicle in these institutes, the applicant will not be required to present himself before the licensing authority concerned. With the establishment of these centers, a large number of unemployed youth in the state will get employment opportunities in the country and abroad.
- The Chief Minister said that about 5 lakh road accidents take place in India every year. Of these, about 1.5 lakh people have to lose their lives. The state of Haryana ranks 13th in road accidents in the country. Transport Department, Haryana has been declared as the lead agency by the state government for all road safety works.
- He said the state government aims to reduce these accidents in the state by 50 per cent by surveying the causes of deaths in road accidents and rectifying their causes. Road safety is a multi-dimensional subject. It is not only the government which has a role to play, but the public, NGOs and industries also have to come forward so that a safe road system can be established.
Why In News?
In the seventh meeting of the Governing Council of NITI Aayog held in New Delhi under the chairmanship of Prime Minister Narendra Modi on August 7, 2022, the Prime Minister mentioned about the Godhan Nyay scheme of Chhattisgarh.
- Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel also attended the seventh meeting of the Governing Council of NITI Aayog. During this time, he spoke on various schemes and topics related to the state's interest in addition to the agenda points related to the meeting.
- In the meeting, the Prime Minister, especially referring to the Godhan Nyay Yojana, said that vermicompost being prepared from cow dung is helpful in increasing the productivity of the fields, it is a good scheme in the interest of farmers.
- Chief Minister Mr. Bhupesh Baghel said that in the last three and a half years, NITI Aayog has appreciated the better performance of the aspirational districts of the state. Chhattisgarh is self-sufficient in the field of grain production. To promote crop diversification, 'Chhattisgarh Millet Mission' has been formed along with the implementation of 'Rajiv Gandhi Kisan Nyay Yojana', 'Chief Minister Tree Plantation Promotion Scheme'.
- The Chief Minister suggested that free seeds of newly developed crop varieties should be made available through mini kits and breeder seed on a large scale through agricultural research institutes for crop diversification and increase the production and productivity of pulses, oilseeds.
- Regarding the implementation of the National Education Policy, the Chief Minister said that many important steps have been taken in this direction in the state. Good quality infrastructure, equipment, educational and curricular activities are being conducted including the establishment of Swami Atmanand Excellent English Medium School.
- Discussing the urban administration, the Chief Minister said that Chhattisgarh has won the state Swachh Survekshan for three consecutive years. Better work has been done in solid waste management in urban areas of the state. He suggested that MNREGA should be implemented in rural areas located near cities and cities with a population of less than 20 thousand.
- He also raised the issue of GST compensation in the meeting. He said that the gst tax system has caused revenue loss to the states, in the coming year, the center has not made arrangements to compensate the state for the loss of revenue of about Rs 5000 crore, so the GST compensation grant should be continued for the next 05 years even after June 2022 .
- At the same time, he said that in the union budget of the last three years, Chhattisgarh has received less share of Rs 13,089 crore in central taxes, which has created a situation of immense pressure on the resources of the state. The amount of share of central taxes should be given entirely to the state.
- The Chief Minister demanded the coal block companies to give Rs 4,140 crore deposited with the Center on coal exploration at the rate of Rs 295 per tonne to Chhattisgarh soon. About 65 percent of the state's mineral revenue source is iron ore mines operating in the state. He requested for revision of royalty rates of coal and other major minerals.
- The Chief Minister said that the expenditure on internal security should be borne by the Central Government. The central government should bear the security expenditure of Rs 11,828 crore on the deployment of central forces in the state for naxal eradication and the state should be freed from this arrears.
- The Chief Minister also urged for exemption under the Forest Conservation Act in setting up solar power plants up to 5 MW in 10 aspirational districts of Chhattisgarh. Along with this, he requested for early action on the pending demands including refund of deposits in the new pension scheme, ensuring availability of jute gunny bags.
Why In News?
Recently, the Union Ministry of Communications has approved 1202 BSNL mobile towers to expand mobile connectivity in Uttarakhand. The central government will spend Rs. 1 crore on a mobile tower.
- Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami, who visited New Delhi on August 6, had put forward the proposal to Union Communications Minister Ashwani Vaishnaw at a courtesy call, which was approved by the Union minister.
- The Chief Minister has submitted to the Union Minister a list of all the places where mobile towers need to be installed. The Chief Minister said that due to lack of mobile connectivity, the people of these areas are facing many problems.
- The border districts of Pithoragarh, Chamoli and Uttarkashi will benefit the most from the installation of mobile towers. Apart from these districts, the problem of connectivity will also be solved in other hill districts of the state and rural areas of plain districts.
- According to the proposal, 28 in Almora, 97 in Bageshwar, 123 in Chamoli, 103 in Champawat, 56 in Dehradun, 196 in Pauri, 06 in Haridwar, 60 in Nainital, 245 in Pithoragarh, 20 in Rudraprayag, 114 in Tehri, 05 in US Nagar, 149 in Uttarkashi Mobile towers will be installed.
Why In News?
On August 6, 2022, Tourism Minister Satpal Maharaj in Haridwar informed that preparations are being made by the Tourism Department to build a Jyotirlinga circuit in the state. Through this circuit, devotees will be able to visit all the 12 Jyotirlingas of the country.
- The Tourism Minister said that in a short period, devotees will be able to see all the 12 Jyotirlingas of the country through the Jyotirlinga Circuit through charter planes. For this, the benefits of those airports will be taken at the places where there are airports. At the same time, helicopters will also be used in many places.
- The Tourism Minister said that along with the Jyotirlinga circuit, the Nath sect circuit will be made in the state and it will be connected to Gorakhpur. For this, the state government will soon sign an MoU with Uttar Pradesh.
- The Tourism Minister said that there has been a lot of publicity of the Nath sect in the mountains. There are many caves of Guru Gorakhnath here. His connection with Gorakhpur will be established by forming the Nath Circuit.
- In the states where there are Jyotirlingas, the talk of making Jyotirling circuits has also started. This circuit will start from Kedarnath and will be connected to the places where Jyotirlingas are located.
Switch to Hindi