Why In News?
On August 6, 2022, Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar inaugurated the Driving Training and Research Institute in Karnal.
- On this occasion, the Chief Minister said that 300 to 350 youth will be trained to drive light and heavy motor vehicles every day in this center. Good driving training will provide good drivers and reduce road accidents.
- Significantly, the foundation stone of this institute was laid by the Chief Minister on March 29, 2018 . He had also announced the opening of this institute in Karnal on December 14, 2016 .
- Set up on 9.25 acres of land at a cost of around Rs 34 crore, the centre has been set up in collaboration with Honda Motor Scooter India Limited.
- Based on international standards, the institute has class rooms, workshops, engine rooms and electronic displays with automated driving test tracks, modern training equipment and computerized systems.
- Training will be given in driving two-wheelers, three-wheelers, four-wheelers, light motors and heavy vehicles. The centre will also have an automated driving test track to impart practical training on the test track and issue driving licences.
- The institute will be fully automated and there will be no human intervention in its functioning. A hostel has also been built for distant students in the center.
- The Chief Minister said that many road accidents occur due to lack of skills and knowledge of road rules with the drivers. Therefore, it has been planned to provide training to the youth aspiring to become drivers to provide them appropriate training.
- Automatic driver training institutes and regional driver training centers will be set up across the state for adequate arrangements for training of drivers in the state. Under this, three driver training and research institutes equipped with modern facilities and infrastructure have been established in Kaithal, Bahadurgarh and Rohtak. Original equipment manufacturers like Ashok Leyland and Maruti Suzuki India Limited are partners in these three projects.
- Apart from these, 8 other institutions are going to open. These include Kaluwas in Bhiwani district, Chapeda in Nuh, Jaisinghpur Khera in Rewari, Pega in Jind, Murthal in Sonipat, Aurangabad in Yamunanagar, Bahin in Palwal and Kheri Gujran in District Faridabad. A Regional Driver Training Centre will also be set up in District Gurugram.
- After obtaining a training certificate for driving a motor vehicle in these institutes, the applicant will not be required to present himself before the licensing authority concerned. With the establishment of these centers, a large number of unemployed youth in the state will get employment opportunities in the country and abroad.
- The Chief Minister said that about 5 lakh road accidents take place in India every year. Of these, about 1.5 lakh people have to lose their lives. The state of Haryana ranks 13th in road accidents in the country. Transport Department, Haryana has been declared as the lead agency by the state government for all road safety works.
- He said the state government aims to reduce these accidents in the state by 50 per cent by surveying the causes of deaths in road accidents and rectifying their causes. Road safety is a multi-dimensional subject. It is not only the government which has a role to play, but the public, NGOs and industries also have to come forward so that a safe road system can be established.
Switch to Hindi