Why In News?
- Ashtam Oraon, a resident of Jharkhand's Gumla district, has been appointed as the captain of the Indian women's football team, announced on October 5, 2022, for the FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup 2022.
- Six players from Jharkhand, including Ashtam Oraon, have got a place in India's 21-man squad announced for the World Cup. These include Neetu Linda, Anjali Munda, Anita Kumari, Poornima Kumari and Sudha Ankita Tirkey.
- Significantly, the FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup 2022 will be held in Bhubaneswar, Margao (Goa) and Navi Mumbai from October 11.
- Ashtam Oraon hails from a small village Banari Goratoli under Gumla district of Jharkhand. Last March, Ashtam Oraon was selected in India's senior women's football team, then he was selected in the Under-17 national camp. Due to his excellent performance, the selectors have assigned him the role of team captain.
- It is known that this is the first time that 6 players from Jharkhand have been selected together in the Indian team of Under-17 women's football.
Switch to Hindi