Q. What are the salient features of the Jal Shakti Abhiyan launched by the Government of India for water conservation and water security? (UPSC GS-3 Mains 2020)10 Feb, 2021 GS Paper 3 Economy
- Start the answer by briefly discussing the Jal Shakti Abhiyan
- Discuss the salient features of the Jal Shakti Abhiyan.
- Conclude suitably.
Jal Shakti Abhiyan (JSA) is a time-bound and mission-mode water conservation campaign, launched by the Ministry of Jal Shakti in 2019.
It is a campaign for water conservation and water security in India’s most water-stressed districts through a collaborative effort of various ministries of the Government of India and state governments.
Salient Features of the Jal Shakti Abhiyan
- Jal Shakti Abhiyan focuses on integrated demand and supply-side management of water at the local level, including the creation of local infrastructure for source sustainability using rainwater harvesting, groundwater recharge and management of household wastewater for reuse.
- It majorly focuses on five aspects viz.:
- Water conservation and rainwater harvesting
- Renovation of traditional and other water bodies/tanks
- Reuse and recharge structures
- Watershed development
- Intensive afforestation
- The conservation efforts will be supplemented by initiatives like developing block and district water conservation plans and 'Krishi Vigyan Kendra melas' to promote efficient water use for irrigation and better crop choices.
- Through Jal Shakti Abhiyan, the government plans to run water conservation, similar to the cleanliness drive i.e the Swachch Bharat Abhiyaan.
- Thus, it aims at making water conservation a Jan Andolan through asset creation and extensive communication.
Jal Shakti Abhiyan signifies that the rising water emergency is making India listen to alarm bells and consequently a strong political commitment coming into place.
To get PDF version, Please click on "Print PDF" button.Print PDF