Q. “The concept of intelligence used in Emotional Quotient (EQ) is much broader than the concept of Intelligence Quotient (IQ)”. Analyse the statement in reference to their application in modern-day administration. (150 words)02 Apr, 2020 GS Paper 4 Theoretical Questions
- Highlight the difference between intelligence quotient and emotional quotient and show how later is a much broader concept than the former.
- Highlight the importance of a high emotional quotient for an administrator in light of challenges one face in governance and benefit accruing out of it.
- Conclude with need of having both quotients for an administrator.
Intelligence Quotient (IQ) is a measure of a person's cognitive abilities allowing one to acquire knowledge, learn and solve problems while Emotional Quotient (EQ) measures one’s ability to monitor emotions, cope with pressures and demands and control one’s thoughts and actions.
The difference in the concept of intelligence in Emotional Quotient (EQ) and Intelligence Quotient (IQ)-
- IQ measures concepts like logical reasoning, word knowledge and math skills, while EQ measures creative abilities or emotional abilities.
- It is not necessary that a high IQ person can easily make social bonds or relations but a person with a high EQ is adept at maintaining relationships or building social bonds.
- Intelligence level or IQ of a person may never change but EQ can be increased through practising self awareness, self-confidence and self-restraint of emotions.
Thus, Emotional Quotient is broader than just gauging one’s intellect based on knowledge and aptitude in solving complex problems and includes qualities of being self aware, managing emotions, having self-motivation, recognizing emotions of others and handling relationships.
Application in modern-day administration
While both are sine qua non for modern day administrators due need of a complex set of skills in solving problems, ability to analyse data, patterns, wider knowledge etc. to work efficiently and competitively, but it is strong Emotional Quotient (EQ) that adds to quality life and stable mind in face of constant disruptive instances like change in work culture, manage personal life, remain motivated in constant failures.
EQ helps in modern day administration in many ways which IQ alone cannot ensure. An administrator of high EQ is capable of :
- Using emotions in addition to cognitive abilities to function rather than relying solely on logic.
- Appealing to emotions to convince someone rather than using facts alone.
- Knowing how to motivate separate individuals as opposed to treating everyone the same way.
- Knowing how and why rather than just Knowing what
- Good interpersonal skills and less prone to aggression
- Increased level of commitment, trustworthiness, conscientiousness.
- Ability to bounce back from setbacks and become change catalyst
- Using better communication of thoughts
- Inculcating enhanced leadership traits.
- Appreciating diversity and performing multiple tasks with focus.
Building social bonds- physical and mental relationships, conflict resolution, High moral standards and leadership qualities are essential for modern day administrators for effecting good and ethical governance. Higher intellect (IQ) alone cannot guarantee such, hence there is need for a high emotional quotient (EQ) also.
To get PDF version, Please click on "Print PDF" button.Print PDF