Q. Throw light on the importance of Bharatmala Pariyojana in reshaping India’s infrastructure scenario. (150 words)08 Feb, 2019 GS Paper 3 Economy
- Give a short description of the scheme in the introduction paragraph.
- Highlight the importance of the Bharatmala Pariyojana in reshaping India’s infrastructure scenario.
- Conclude while giving the emphasis on the need of the scheme.
- Bharatmala Pariyojana is a new umbrella program for the highways sector that focuses on optimizing efficiency of freight and passenger movement across the country by bridging critical infrastructure gaps through effective interventions like development of Economic Corridors, Inter Corridors and Feeder Routes, National Corridor Efficiency Improvement, Border and International connectivity roads, Coastal and Port connectivity roads and Green-field expressways.
- A total of around 24,800 kms are being considered in Phase I. In addition, Phase I also includes 10,000 kms of balance road works under NHDP. Estimated outlay for Phase I is Rs 5,35,000 crores spread over 5 years. The objective of the program is optimal resource allocation for a holistic highway development/improvement initiative.
Bharatmala Pariyojana will reshape India’s infrastructure scenario by providing:
- Improving the quality of roads - The launch of the scheme has been done for bring a new wave of development in the nation in the form of well-maintained and developed roads. Under this project, the construction of roads, in all parts of the nation will be undertaken.
- Total road construction - As per the draft of the scheme, government and the ministry will strive to complete new roads, which will add up to a whopping 34, 800 kms. The programme will help to connect 550 Districts in the country through NH linkages. Currently, only around 300 Districts have NH linkages.
- Integrated scheme - The programme has been designed to bridge the gaps in the existing highways infrastructure so as to make the movement of man and material more efficient. Special attention has been paid to fulfill the connectivity needs of backward and tribal areas, areas of economic activity, places of religious and tourist interest, border areas, coastal areas and trade routes with neighbouring countries under the programme.
- Different categories of road construction - It has been highlighted in the official draft of the scheme that to provide better connectivity, the construction of various categories of roads will be undertaken.
- Bharatmala envisages improving the efficiency of the National Corridor (Golden-Quadrilateral and NS-EW corridor) by decongesting its choke points through lane expansion, construction of ring roads, bypasses/ elevated corridors and logistics parks at identified points. Around 5,000 kms of the National Corridor will be taken up in Phase-I of Bharatmala at an estimated cost of Rs 100,000 crore.
- It will also envisage building 3300 kms of Border Roads of strategic importance along international boundaries and 2000 km of International Connectivity roads to promote trade with Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh and Myanmar . Out of this around 2000 km will be taken up under Phase-I at an estimated cost of Rs 25,000 crore.
- Better logistics - Bharatmala will also have a positive impact on the Logistic Performance Index (LPI) of the country.
The development of any nation depends on the transportation networks and the ways in which they are being maintained. For connecting the areas and maintaining smooth flow of traffic, the construction of new and developed roads are a must and the same will be achieved with the implementation of the Bharatmala project.
To get PDF version, Please click on "Print PDF" button.Print PDF