Important Facts For Prelims
UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
- 19 Dec 2022
- 4 min read
Why in News?
India has abstained in the U.N. Economic and Social Council on a draft resolution to oust Iran from its principal global intergovernmental body (Commission on the Status of Women) dedicated to the promotion of gender equality and women empowerment.
What is Commission on the Status of Women (CSW)?
- It is the principal global intergovernmental body exclusively dedicated to the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of women.
- By the ECOSOC resolution of June 1946, it was established as a functional commission of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC). The Commission comprises 45 Member States of the United Nations.
What was the Resolution?
- The draft resolution, introduced by the U.S., on the removal of Iran from the membership of the CSW for the remainder of its 2022-2026 term, citing its oppression of women and girls in the country.
- Iran has been rocked by protests since the September 2022 death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini, who died after being detained by the country's morality police.
- The resolution was adopted by a recorded vote of 29 in favour to 8 against - Bolivia, China, Kazakhstan, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Oman, Russia, Zimbabwe and 16 abstentions, including by Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Mauritius, Mexico, and Thailand.
What is the UN Economic and Social Council?
- Established by the UN Charter in 1945, it is the principal body for coordination, policy review, policy dialogue and recommendations on economic, social and environmental issues, as well as implementation of internationally agreed development goals.
- It has 54 members, elected by the UN General Assembly for overlapping three-year terms.
- It is the UN's central platform for reflection, debate and innovative thinking on sustainable development.
- Each year, ECOSOC structures its work around an annual theme of global importance to sustainable development.
- It coordinates the work of the 14 UN specialized agencies, ten functional commissions and five regional commissions, receives reports from nine UN funds and programmes and issues policy recommendations to the UN system and to member states.
- Few Important Bodies under the Purview of ECOSOC:
- International labour Organization (ILO)
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- Bretton Woods Twins (World Bank Group and International Monetary Fund)
- United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
- Apart from these there are various Functional and Regional Commissions, Standing Committees, Ad Hoc and Expert Bodies as well.
UPSC Civil Services Examination Previous Year Question (PYQ)
Q. With reference to the United Nations, consider the following statements: (2009)
- The Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of UN consists of 24 member States.
- It is elected by a 2/3rd majority of the General Assembly for a 3-year term.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2