TB Drug Pretomanid
- 31 Aug 2019
- 2 min read
Pretomanid is the third new drug developed for the treatment of people with Extensively Drug-Resistant TB (XDR-TB) or Multi Drug-Resistant TB (MDR-TB) affecting the lungs.
- It is a part of three-drug, six-month, all-oral regimen treatment along with the other two drugs namely,
- Bedaquiline, &
- India has the highest TB burden in the world. In 2018, 2.15 million TB cases were reported, which is 16% more than in 2017. This new drug will be beneficial in reducing the burden.
- To get this regimen into trials there is the need to get it registered and put it into drug trials along with Bedaquiline.
- The revised National TB Control Program (RNTCP) will have to negotiate the price, procure & deliver the drugs on time.
- Recently, the central TB Division of the Health Ministry has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Wadhwani Institute for Artificial Intelligence to explore the application of cutting-edge Artificial Intelligence technology in its fight against TB is a welcome step.
- TB control requires the slowing down of infection, progression, and transmission. Continuous efforts are needed in this regard for slowing down its progression and eliminating it completely by 2025.