- 31 Dec 2022
- 3 min read
Why in News?
Recently the Union Home minister launched ‘Prahari’ app for Border Security Force (BSF) Jawans.
- The Ministry also revised 13 BSF manuals to increase the understanding of the administration, training and operations of the border guarding organization.
- These manuals will help speed up the tasks of the BSF jawans. They will ease the work of all ranks of BSF jawans and officers.
What are the Key Features of the App?
- Through the ‘Prahari’ app, jawans can get personal and service-related information, housing, Ayushman- Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) and leave related information on their mobile.
- Other Features of the App Include:
- Availability of Bio Data
- Grievance redressal on “Centralized Public Grievance Redress and Monitoring System” (CP-GRAMS)”
- Information on various welfare schemes
- The app will also connect the Jawans with the portal of the Ministry of Home Affairs.
What is BSF?
- The BSF was raised in 1965, after the India-Pakistan war.
- It is one of the seven Central Armed Police Forces of the Union of India under the administrative control of the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
- Other Central Armed Police Forces are: Assam Rifles (AR), Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), National Security Guards (NSG) and Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB).
- It is deployed on Indo-Pakistan International Border, Indo-Bangladesh International Border, Line of Control (LoC) along with Indian Army and in Anti-Naxal Operations.
- It has an air wing, marine wing, an artillery regiment, and commando units.
- BSF has been defending Sir Creek in Arabian Sea and Sundarban delta in the Bay of Bengal with its state of art fleet of Water Crafts.
- BSF has an instrumental role in helping state administration in maintaining Law and Order and conducting peaceful elections.
- BSF has been crusading against natural calamity to save precious human lives as and when warranted.
- It contributes dedicated services to the UN peacekeeping Mission by sending a large contingent of its trained manpower every year.
- It has been termed as the First Line of Defence of Indian Territories.
- The Border Security Force has been awarded numerous gallantry awards including one Mahavir Chakra, 4 Kirti Chakras, 13 Vir Chakras and 13 Shaurya Chakras.