PM Atmanirbhar Swasth Bharat Scheme
- 25 Feb 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Prime Minister talked about the need to address health issues in a holistic manner and to adopt a four-pronged strategy for a healthy India that includes implementing the PM Atmanirbhar Swasth Bharat scheme.
- Four-Pronged Strategy for a Healthy India:
- Prevention of illness and promotion of wellness including measures such as Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, yoga and timely care and treatment of pregnant women and children,
- Providing cheap and effective treatment to the poorest of the poor,
- Increasing the quality of health infrastructure and healthcare professionals and
- Working on a mission mode to overcome obstacles like Mission Indradhanush has been extended to the tribal and far-flung areas of the country.
- PM Atmanirbhar Swasth Bharat Scheme:
- Announced in the Union Budget 2021-22.
- Aims to develop capacities of primary, secondary, and tertiary care health systems even in the last miles of the nation.
- Developing a modern ecosystem for research, testing and treatment in the country itself.
- Centrally Sponsored Scheme with an outlay of about Rs. 64,180 crores.
- Duration: 6 years.
- Supporting development of 17,788 rural and 11,024 urban health and wellness centers and setting up of integrated public health labs in all districts and 3,382 block public health units in 11 states.
- Help in establishing critical care hospital blocks in 602 districts and 12 central institutions. Strengthening of the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), its 5 regional branches and 20 metropolitan health surveillance units.
- Expansion of the Integrated Health Information Portal to all States/UTs to connect all public health labs.
- Help in rolling out the Covid-19 vaccination program as well as strengthen the delivery system and build better capability and capacity to combat any future pandemics.
- Other Initiatives in Health Sector: