Luhri Stage-I Hydro Electric Project
- 05 Nov 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved the investment for 210 MW Luhri Stage-I Hydro Electric Project.
- It is located on River Satluj in Shimla and Kullu districts of Himachal Pradesh.
- It is being implemented by Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Limited (SJVNL) on Build-Own-Operate-Maintain (BOOM) basis with active support from Government of India and the State Government.
- Government of India is providing grants of Rs. 66.19 crore for enabling infrastructure.
- SJVNL has envisaged Internal Growth Targets of total installed capacity from all sources of 5000 MW by 2023, 12000 MW by 2030 and 25000 MW by the year 2040.
- This project will generate 758.20 million units of electricity annually, which will help in providing grid stability and improve the power supply position.
- Besides adding valuable renewable energy to the grid, the project would also lead to a reduction of 6.1 lakh tons of carbon dioxide from the environment annually, thus contributing to an improvement in air quality and less air pollution.
- The construction activities will result in direct and indirect employment and will contribute to the overall socio-economic development of the State.
- Himachal Pradesh will benefit with free power worth around Rs. 1140 crore, during the Project Life Cycle of 40 years.
- The project affected families will be provided with 100 units of free electricity per month for ten years.