International Day for Biological Diversity
- 22 May 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
The International Day for Biological Diversity is observed on 22nd May every year to increase understanding and awareness of biodiversity issues.
- The theme for the year 2020 is “Our solutions are in nature”.
- The theme highlights that Biodiversity remains the answer to a number of sustainable development challenges. From nature-based solutions to climate, to food and water security, and sustainable livelihoods, biodiversity remains the basis for a sustainable future.
- The year 2020 is a reflection, opportunity and solutions for biodiversity issues. The year will witness:
- The final period for the 2011-2020 Strategic Plan on Biodiversity and its 20 Aichi Biodiversity Targets.
- The end of the 2011-2020 United Nations Decade on Biodiversity, and start of other new pivotal biodiversity related decades for the period 2021-2030: the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development and the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration.
- The UN Biodiversity Summit (15th Conference of the Parties: COP-15) which will highlight the urgency of actions in support of a post-2020 global biodiversity framework that contributes to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and places the global community on a path towards realizing the 2050 Vision for Biodiversity.
- Sustainable Goal 15 aims to “Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss”.