World Water Day
- 23 Mar 2020
- 1 min read
Why in News
World Water Day is observed on 22 March every year. It focuses on the importance of freshwater.
- The World Water Day has been observed since 1993 and intends to raise awareness of the 2.2 billion people living without access to safe water.
- The theme for 2020 is ‘Water and Climate Change’ which aims to explore interrelation between water and climate change.
- A core focus of World Water Day is to support the achievement of Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 6: water and sanitation for all by 2030.
- In addition to it, the International Decade for Action on Water for Sustainable Development (2018-2028) is being observed.
- These observances serve to reaffirm that water and sanitation measures are key to poverty reduction, economic growth, and environmental sustainability.