- 22 Apr 2019
- 2 min read
Earth Day is an annual event, celebrated on April 22.
- Worldwide events are held to demonstrate support for environmental protection. The theme of Earth Day 2019 is “Protect Our Species”.
- It was first celebrated in 1970, and is now coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network and celebrated in more than 193 countries each year.
- The idea of commemorating such a day was propounded by Gaylord Nelson, an American environmentalist and politician.
- According to the United Nations, International Earth Day is celebrated to remind each of us that the Earth and its ecosystems provide us with life and sustenance.
- The Earth Day also recognizes a collective responsibility, as called for in the 1992 Rio Declaration (Earth Summit), to promote harmony with nature and the Earth to achieve a just balance among the economic, social and environmental needs of present and future generations of humanity.
- This day provides an opportunity to raise public awareness around the world to the challenges regarding the well-being of the planet and all the life it supports.
Earth Day Network
- Earth Day Network is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to diversify, educate and activate the environmental movement worldwide.
- EDN main office is located in Washington DC, USA.
- Recently the Earth Hour 2019 was observed on March 30 from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm local time with the theme #Connect2Earth.