Switch To Hindi
(a) 1, 2, 3 and 5 only
ChatGPT-Powered WhatsApp Chatbot
- 15 Feb 2023
- 6 min read
Prelims: Generative Artificial Intelligence, Google’s Bard, Artificial Intelligence.
Mains: ChatGPT-Powered WhatsApp Chatbot and Associated Concerns.
Why in News?
The Ministry of Electronics and IT’s (MeitY) BHASHINI is working on a ChatGPT-Powered WhatsApp Chatbot to help Indian farmers learn about various government schemes.
- BHASHINI (BHASHa INterface for India) is India’s Artificial Intelligence (AI) led language translation platform.
- The launch of the WhatsApp chatbot may take time as ChatGPT currently relies on input in English, and the support for local languages is limited.
What are the Intended Features?
- It will let users send a question via voice notes.
- A user could simply ask a question using voice notes and receive a voice-based response generated by ChatGPT.
- The chatbot has been developing with the view of India’s rural and agrarian population that most depend on government schemes and subsidies.
- These potential users speak a wide range of languages, which makes it important to build a language model that can successfully identify and understand them.
- This will help numerous farmers in India who may not be familiar with typing on smartphones.
- The ChatGPT-powered WhatsApp chatbot will support 12 languages, including English, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Marathi, Bengali, Kannada, Odia, and Assamese.
- The majority of those who will use this chatbot would not know English, for which the Government's Bhasha Daan Initiative will be used.
- Bhasha Daan is an initiative to crowdsource language inputs for multiple Indian languages as part of Project BHASHINI. It calls upon citizens to help build an open repository of data to digitally enrich his/her own language.
What are the Concerns Related to Such Models?
- Responses of generative AI models like ChatGPT, Google’s Bard may not always be accurate.
- Recently, Bard made a factual error about James Webb Space Telescope. The company’s shares dropped by USD 100 billion after the mistake was spotted.
- In its current testing phase, the WhatsApp chatbot can only respond to simple queries about government schemes, etc.
- This is primarily due to the current limitation of ChatGPT itself — the fact that it cannot access information from the Internet in real time.
- ChatGPT’s language model was trained on a dataset that only includes information until 2021.
- However, this could soon change. Recently, Microsoft announced a new version of its search engine Bing, powered by an upgraded version of the same AI technology that underpins ChatGPT.
- The feature will be powered by an updated version of GPT 3.5, the AI language model created by OpenAI that powers ChatGPT.
- It called this the “Prometheus Model”, and said it was more powerful than GPT 3.5 and better able to answer search queries with more up-to-date information and annotated answers.
What is ChatGPT?
- ChatGPT is a variant of GPT (Generative Pre-trained Transformer) which is a large-scale neural network-based language model developed by OpenAI.
- GPT models are trained on vast amounts of text data to generate human-like text.
- It can generate responses to a wide range of topics, such as answering questions, providing explanations, and engaging in conversations.
- In addition to being able to "admit its mistakes, challenge false premises, and refuse unsuitable requests," the ChatGPT can also "answer follow-up questions."
- The chatbot was also trained using Reinforcement Learning from Human Feedback (RLHF).
- It can be used in real-world applications such as digital marketing, online content creation, answering customer service queries or as some users have found, even to help debug code.
- The bot can respond to a large range of questions while imitating human speaking styles.
- It is being seen as a replacement for basic emails, party planning lists, CVs, and even college essays and homework.
- It can also be used to write code, as examples have shown
UPSC Civil Services Examination, Previous Year Question (PYQ)
Q1. With the present state of development, Artificial Intelligence can effectively do which of the following? (2020)
- Bring down electricity consumption in industrial units
- Create meaningful short stories and songs
- Disease diagnosis
- Text-to-Speech Conversion
- Wireless transmission of electrical energy
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1, 2, 3 and 5 only
(b) 1, 3 and 4 only
(c) 2, 4 and 5 only
(d) 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5