- 21 Nov 2019
- 1 min read
Why in News
According to Amnesty International, the protests over rising fuel prices and a subsequent government crackdown have cost many people their lives across Iran.
- The U.S.economic sanctions on Iran and the rise in gasoline prices in the country have resulted in a collapse of Iranian currency (Rial).
- Amnesty International is a London based Non-Governmental Organisation founded in 1961.
- The organization aims to create a world where every person enjoys all of the human rights enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other international human rights standards.
- The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was adopted in 1948. It recognized the fundamental human rights universally for the first time.
- It also conducts research, generates action to prevent grave abuses of human rights and demands justice for those whose rights have been violated.
- The organization was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1977 for its “Defence of human dignity against torture” and the United Nations Prize in the field of Human Rights in 1978.