World Fisheries Day
- 21 Nov 2019
- 1 min read
The World Fisheries Day is observed on the 21st November every year.
- On 21st November 1997, the working fishermen and women representing World Forum of Fish Harvesters & Fish Workers from 18 countries met at New Delhi and established the World Fisheries Forum (WFF) advocating for a global mandate of sustainable fishing practices and policies.
Fisheries in India
- India is the second-largest producer and 4th largest exporter of fish in the world.
- Fish constituted about 10% of total exports from India and almost 20% of agriculture exports in 2017-18.
- The fisheries and aquaculture production contribute around 1% to India’s GDP and over 5% to the agricultural GDP.
- The focus of the Blue Revolution 2.0 is on development and management of fisheries.