Swachh Survekshan Grameen Awards 2019
- 21 Nov 2019
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Swachh Survekshan Grameen Awards 2019 were conferred upon top-ranked states, Union Territories (UTs), and districts in the various categories by the Ministry of Jal Shakti in New Delhi.
- It marked the occasion of World Toilet Day, which is observed every year on November 19.
- The Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS) under the Ministry of Jal Shakti had commissioned Swachh Survekshan Grameen-2019 (SSG 2019) through an independent survey agency.
- It aimed to develop rankings of all districts of India on the basis of quantitative and qualitative sanitation (Swachhta) parameters.
- Top 3 States– 1) Tamil Nadu, 2) Haryana, 3) Gujarat
- Top 3 Districts– 1) Peddapalli (Telangana), 2) Faridabad (Haryana), 3) Rewari (Haryana)
- State with Maximum Citizen Participation– Uttar Pradesh
- Corporates Felicitated: Cement Manufacturers Association (CMA), Hindustan Unilever Limited and AMUL for their contribution under the Swachhta Hi Seva campaign-2019 towards effective plastic waste management.
- According to SSG 2019 survey findings,
- 97.5% of people surveyed were aware of SSG 2019,
- 81.3% of respondents credited Swachh Bharat Mission Grameen (SBM-G) for the substantial improvement in cleanliness level,
- Respondents reported sufficient arrangements in their village to manage liquid waste (83%), and solid waste (84.1%).
- The rankings were done based on a comprehensive set of parameters including surveys of public places like schools, Anganwadis, Haat/Bazaars, Panchayat, and citizen’s perception of Swachhta.
- The survey agency used maps and simple handheld device/recording formats to record their observations and findings along with photographs/videos, wherever necessary.