- 16 Sep 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, an adjournment motion notice was moved in the Lok Sabha over the surveillance of key Indian personalities by a firm linked to the Chinese government.
- Adjournment motion is introduced only in the Lok Sabha to draw the attention of the House to a definite matter of urgent public importance.
- It involves an element of censure against the government, therefore Rajya Sabha is not permitted to make use of this device
- It is regarded as an extraordinary device as it interrupts the normal business of the House. It needs the support of 50 members to be admitted.
- The discussion on this motion should last for not less than two hours and thirty minutes.
- However, right to move a motion for an adjournment of the business of the House is subject to the following restrictions. i.e. It should:
- Raise a matter which is definite, factual, urgent and of public importance.
- Not cover more than one matter.
- Be restricted to a specific matter of recent occurrence.
- Not raise a question of privilege.
- Not revive discussion on a matter that has been discussed in the same session.
- Not deal with any matter that is under adjudication of court.
- Not raise any question that can be raised on a distinct motion.