Q. Discuss the salient features of National Education policy 2020 and how can it bring holistic changes to the Indian education system?02 Jul, 2021 GS Paper 2 Polity & Governance
- Start the answer by briefly introducing the goal of National Education policy (NEP) 2020.
- Discuss the salient features of NEP 2020 and its significance.
- Conclude Suitably.
The government of India after a gap of nearly three decades unveiled the National Education Policy in 2020 (NEP).
The new policy seeks rectification of poor literacy and numeracy outcomes associated with primary schools, reduction in dropout levels in middle and secondary schools and adoption of the multidisciplinary approach in the higher education system.
Salient Features of NEP 2020 and its Significance
- Recognising Importance of Formative years: In adopting a 5+3+3+4 model for school education starting at age 3, the policy recognises the primacy of the formative years from ages 3 to 8 in shaping the child’s future.
- Departure from Silos Mentality: Another key aspect of school education in the new policy is the breaking of the strict division of arts, commerce and science streams in high school.
- This can lay the foundation for a multi-disciplinary approach in higher education.
- Confluence of Education and Skills: Another laudable aspect of the scheme is the introduction of vocational courses with an internship.
- This may nudge the vulnerable sections of society to send their children to school.
- Also, it would help in realisation of the goal of Skill India Mission.
- Making Education More Inclusive: The NEP proposes the extension of the Right to Education (RTE) to all children up to the age of 18.
- Further, the policy seeks to leverage the huge potential of online pedagogy and learning methodologies for increasing gross enrolment in higher education.
- Allowing Foreign Universities: The NEP 2020 states universities from among the top 100 in the world will be able to set up campuses in India.
- This will lead to an infusion of international perspective and innovation, which will make the Indian education system more efficient and competitive.
- Ending Hindi vs English Debate: Most crucially, NEP, once and for all, buries the strident Hindi versus English language debate.
- It lays down emphasises on making mother tongue, local language or the regional language the medium of instruction at least till Grade 5, which is considered the best medium of teaching.
Though the NEP 2020 seeks to bring a holistic change in the education system of India, its success depends on the will and way in which it will be implemented.
To get PDF version, Please click on "Print PDF" button.Print PDF