Q. Citizen initiatives to fight corruption come from an active social consciousness. Discuss.12 May, 2021 GS Paper 4 Theoretical Questions
- Start the answer by mentioning the ethical dimension of corruption.
- Mention measures that can promote public participation in anti-corruption drives.
- Conclude Suitably.
According to one view, corruption arises not so much from human moral weakness as from inherent systemic weaknesses which create the opportunities for corruption.
Therefore, controlling corruption only through administrative vigilance is very difficult. It requires a multi-pronged approach - with public participation and systemic economic and administrative reforms.
Measures For Promotion of Public Participation in Anti-corruption Drives.
- Establishing and disseminating service standards
- Establishing credible complaints’ redressal mechanisms.
- Assessing public confidence in anti-corruption institutions, judiciary and law enforcement for designing programmes to improve trust levels.
- Enforcing access to information.
- Educating society on the events of corruption and instilling moral commitment to integrity.
- Using public hearings in which the audience learn about public work schemes of their local area and provide their own perceptions.
- Initiating media campaigns for public education and awareness on fighting corruption
- Holding integrity workshops and public hearings to discuss problems of corruption and considering solutions.
- Periodically surveying and assessing public service delivery.
- Surveying corruption perceptions in general about government as also about its specific sectors
- Inviting civil society groups to oversee government programmes can help expand the accountability mechanism.
- Provisions for social audit should be introduced in all schemes which have many scattered beneficiaries.
Citizen initiatives to fight corruption come from an active social consciousness.
Therefore, governments can also promote an environment which enables citizens’ groups to join in anti-corruption efforts.
To get PDF version, Please click on "Print PDF" button.Print PDF