Q. Citizen’s Charter seeks to continuously improve the quality of public services for the people so as to respond to their needs and wishes. In the light of the statement discuss the foundational features of a citizen’s charter and what do citizens expect out of it.13 Apr, 2021 GS Paper 4 Theoretical Questions
- Start the answer by defining the concept of the Citizen’s Charter
- Discuss the foundational features of a citizen’s charter and what do citizens expect out of it.
- Conclude suitably.
Citizen Charters is a document that acts as a means of solving the day-to-day problems which citizens experience while dealing with organizations providing public services. It expresses the understanding between citizens and the provider of public service.
The elements of a good Charter are:
- Focus on Customer Requirements
- Simple Language
- Service Standards
- Effective Remedies
- Feedback Mechanism
- Close Monitoring
- Periodic Review.
Citizens have the following expectations from Government Departments/Service Providers:
- Reliability or consistency in performance
- Responsiveness or timely service
- Credibility or having customer interest at heart
- Empathy or attention to customer’s needs
- Courtesy and care or physical evidence of willingness to serve.
To sum up, the six principles of Citizen’s Charters are published standards; openness and clarity of information; choice and consultation; courtesy and helpfulness; redress when things go wrong; and value for money.
To get PDF version, Please click on "Print PDF" button.Print PDF