Q. Ethics and integrity are crucial elements in public administration. Discuss the significance of ethics and integrity in ensuring effective and accountable governance. Provide examples to support your argument. (250 words)13 Jul, 2023 GS Paper 4 Theoretical Questions
- Start your answer with a brief introduction of ethics and integrity.
- Explain the significance of ethics and integrity in governance along with examples.
- Conclude accordingly.
Ethics and integrity play pivotal roles in the realm of public administration, serving as essential pillars for effective and accountable governance. These principles guide the conduct of public officials, ensuring transparency, fairness, and responsible decision-making.
- Upholding Public Trust:
- Ethics and integrity foster public trust, which forms the bedrock of effective governance.
- When public officials demonstrate ethical behaviour, citizens develop confidence in the system, leading to increased participation and cooperation.
- For instance, leaders with high ethical standards in their administration inspire public trust, resulting in greater compliance with policies and regulations.
- Fair and Transparent Decision-Making:
- Ethics and integrity promote fairness and transparency in decision-making processes.
- Public administrators who adhere to ethical guidelines ensure that decisions are not influenced by personal biases or vested interests.
- By upholding integrity, officials prioritize the public interest over personal gain, resulting in policies that are just and equitable.
- For example, an ethical approach to public procurement ensures a level playing field for all vendors, preventing corruption and favouritism.
- Accountability and Responsiveness:
- Ethics and integrity hold public officials accountable for their actions. These principles create a culture of responsibility where administrators are answerable to the public and are obliged to act in the best interests of society. When integrity is valued and encouraged, it becomes a catalyst for efficient and responsive governance.
- For instance, ethical leaders establish robust mechanisms for citizen feedback, enabling them to address grievances promptly and make necessary improvements.
- Ethical Leadership:
- Ethical conduct among public administrators sets an example for others and encourages a positive organizational culture.
- When leaders prioritize ethics and integrity, they foster an environment where honesty, professionalism, and ethical behavior are the norm. Such an environment promotes teamwork, collaboration, and innovation, enhancing the overall effectiveness of public administration.
- For instance, a leader who leads by example and follows ethical practices motivates subordinates to emulate those values, resulting in a more ethical and efficient administration.
Ethics and integrity are indispensable for effective and accountable governance in public administration. These principles uphold public trust, ensure fair decision-making, promote accountability, and foster ethical leadership. By emphasizing these values, public administrators can create a culture of transparency, responsibility, and responsiveness, ultimately leading to a more efficient and just governance system. Upholding ethics and integrity in public administration is crucial not only for maintaining public trust but also for promoting the welfare and development of society as a whole.
To get PDF version, Please click on "Print PDF" button.Print PDF