Q. Define Work Culture. Discuss its importance in the success of any organisation. (150 words)30 Jul, 2020 GS Paper 4 Theoretical Questions
- In the introduction define what do you understand by ‘Work Culture’.
- Explain briefly the traits of a good work culture.
- Discuss how a good work culture leads to efficient working of the organisation.
- In conclusion, write how a good work culture can be maintained in an organisation.
- Work culture is regarded as a set of practices, values and shared beliefs within an organisation and its employees that arise from what is generally regarded as appropriate ways to think and act.
- It is the work culture that decides the way employees interact with each other and how an organisation functions. The work culture is a product of its history, traditions, values and vision.
Characteristics of a good work culture
- Desirable work culture includes shared institutional values, priorities, rewards and other practices which foster inclusion, high performance, and commitment, while still allowing diversity in thought and action.
- A perfect example of a good workplace culture is ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation).
- It was founded in the 1960s and has since then contributed immensely in the development of the nation.
- Despite India being a third world country, ISRO has against all odds launched various space programs, the most recent being Chandayan 2.
- It can not be denied that one of the most important factors of ISRO’s success is healthy work culture.
- Importance of work culture in the success of an organisation
- Transparency, innovation and discipline: Healthy work culture promotes transparency, innovation and discipline in an organisation.
- Reduced Conflicts: Good work culture promotes effective communication and helps in reducing conflicts among individuals/team during work.
- Increases Productivity and Quality: Transparency, responsibility, unbiased are underpinnings of good work culture. These will enable individuals and teams to become self-organized which in turn improves quality and productivity.
- Sustainable Work: Good work culture includes peer respect, recognition of hard work, and freedom to bring new ideas (innovation). These will help in long term prospects of the organization.
- Effective Communication: Healthy work culture provides a platform for effective communication among the verticals and horizontals of the organisation which helps in getting work done effectively.
- A healthy work culture is maintained through attraction-selection-attrition, new employee onboarding, leadership, and organizational reward systems.
- Often healthy work culture is associated with private organisations and government organisations are known for the lack of it due to frequent mismanagement, corruption, bureaucratic red tape etc.
- However, efforts like RTI, e-governance, strict laws etc are improving the situation.
- These efforts will certainly help in bringing out the best in government employees as well.
To get PDF version, Please click on "Print PDF" button.Print PDF