Q. Like religion and art, morality also is an institution of life for anyone to adopt in his life. Explain. (250 words)27 Feb, 2020 GS Paper 4 Theoretical Questions
- Define morality
- Explain the importance of religion and art for society
- Explain how religion and art devoid of morality is problematic
- Explain the importance of morality as an institution
Morality is derived from the root word 'mos' which means customs. Moral is concerned with the principles of right and wrong behavior. Morality as an institution may play an important role along with religion and art.
Religion and art have been defining institutions in a person's life. Since ancient times, both have played an instrumental role in society. While religion helps in controlling a person's actions and guide them in their path, art helps in connecting humanity in different spaces and times. But without morality, they can cause conflict in society eg.
- Some religious practices are not ethical in the modern era eg
- Women are prohibited to enter the temple during their menstrual period
- Polygamy, Nikah Halala, etc
- Religion may result in the division of society in 'us' and 'other' as seen during various communal riots.
- Religion is based on faith and many times it is difficult to put it under the rigid structures of reason and scientific logic.
Importance of Morality as an Institution
- If a person has never learned about moral values then how can he/she decide between the good and the bad.
- Moral values reflect an individual’s character and spirituality.
- They help in building good relationships in personal as well as professional lives.
- They can help in eradicating problems like dishonesty, violence, cheating, jealousy from one’s life.
- They can counter bad influences in a society like disregarding women, child abuse, violence, crimes, agitations.
Morality as an institution can not only make society peaceful but can also help to regulate the harm from other institutions such as religion.
To get PDF version, Please click on "Print PDF" button.Print PDF