In a horrific incident which sparked outrage in your district, a 17-year-old girl, on her way to school with her younger sister, was attacked with an acid-like substance by two men on a motorcycle near her home. She sustained severe injuries on her face, neck and eyes, currently she is being treated at the Hospital. She comes from a very humble family and her family looked up to her for alleviating them from poverty.
Further, the incident has once again brought back to focus the heinous crime of acid attacks and the easy availability of corrosive substances, therefore, people are anguished and have started protesting and demanding the death penalty for the culprits.
As a district magistrate, what would you do to resolve the situation? What steps would you take to stop easy availability of hazardous substances?30 Dec, 2022 GS Paper 4 Case Studies
- Start your answer by Briefly introducing the ethical issue involved in the case.
- Discuss about various stakeholders involved in the case.
- Discuss the course of action that should be taken by District Magistrate.
- Conclude by giving suggestions so that these types of incidents could be curtailed.
The above case involves the issue of acid attack on a woman, while she was returning from school. Therefore, there are protests in the area demanding death penalty. Hence, the district magistrate has to handle the situation.
- Ethical Issues Involved:
- Empathy of senior police officer towards the victim and her family.
- Professional responsibility to follow rule book.
- Constitutional morality of senior police officer.
- Crisis management.
- Stakeholder Involved:
- Girl who was attacked by acid
- Family of the girl
- Culprits of the attack
- Me as district magistrate
- Police officers investigating the case
- Society at large
Course of Action
- As a district magistrate, the first priority in this situation would be to ensure that the victim receives the necessary medical treatment and support. This would involve coordinating with the hospital and medical professionals to ensure that the victim receives the best possible care, and also providing any necessary financial or other support to the victim's family.
- Till the time being, I would increase police patrol in the whole district so that people and specially girls feel safe.
- Once the victim's medical needs have been addressed, the next step would be to calm down the protestors by explaining to them the police have taken action to identify and apprehend the perpetrators of the attack and further, they are working closely with other law enforcement agencies to gather evidence, track down leads, and bring the perpetrators to justice.
- If, the protesters resort to violence and destruction of public property, then I would use police force against them.
- Further, to address the issue of the easy availability of hazardous substances, I would take a number of steps, including:
- Implementing stricter regulations on the sale and distribution of corrosive substances: This could involve imposing tighter controls on the sale and distribution of such substances, requiring sellers to obtain licenses or permits, and imposing stricter penalties for illegal sale or distribution of such substances.
- Promoting alternative products: I would work with manufacturers and retailers to promote the use of alternative products that are less hazardous and less likely to be used in attacks.
- Supporting victims of acid attacks: Lastly, I would work with local organizations and charities to provide support and assistance to victims of acid attacks, including medical treatment, counseling, and legal assistance.
- Educating the public about the dangers of corrosive substances: To take initiative by working with schools, community organizations, and other stakeholders to raise awareness about the dangers of corrosive substances and the importance of proper handling and storage.
Ultimately, the key to addressing the issue of easy availability of hazardous substances and preventing future acid attacks will be a combination of stricter regulations, education, and support for victims. By taking these steps, the district magistrate can help to create a safer and more just community.
To get PDF version, Please click on "Print PDF" button.Print PDF