Q. Discuss how a good character is necessary for holding higher positions in civil services. (250 words)10 Nov, 2022 GS Paper 4 Theoretical Questions
- Describe in brief about good character.
- Discuss qualities that make up a good character and their relevance in civil services.
- Conclude accordingly.
A good charter of a civil servant will aid in voice of conscience which motivates the civil servant to work towards collective good of the society and prevent the abuse of power for one’s own self-interest.
- Some essential qualities that make a good character of a civil servant are:
- Selflessness: This results in furthering common good/interest.
- Objectivity: Decisions based on rational, impartial basis led to justice, equality and meritorious outcomes.
- Openness: A civil service must be transparent in actions and decisions. This will enhance the quality of decision making.
- Integrity: This can ensure that the public office will not reduce to crony vested interest, which will raise people’s participation and co-operation with the bureaucracy.
- Honesty: Trustworthiness, free from deceit, loyalty, sincerity are hallmarks for effective leadership resulting in following orders and ability to persuade the desired outcome.
- Transparency: This is the cornerstone of democratic decision making and also enhances the quality of such decisions by making them more inclusive, receptive and accountable.
Thus, a good character becomes necessary for civil servants in higher positions in face of modern-day challenges like corruption, decreasing faith in governance, cronyism, biased decisions etc. as highlighted by a Sanskrit phrase “Sheelam param Bhushanam” (Character is the highest virtue).
To get PDF version, Please click on "Print PDF" button.Print PDF