- Filter By :
- Theoretical Questions
- Case Studies
Suppose you are the Superintendent of Police in a district. The state has experienced an increase in communal riots in the past few months. A recent incident occurred in a small village. Mud houses were set on fire. Geeta and her daughter Roopa, who was three and a half years old, fled the village after violence broke out.
Once they reached a nearby village, they were attacked by a group of people. Geeta and her daughter were brutally raped and murdered, and the local police have refused to register the case as two police stations are bordered by the area where the bodies were found.
Locals from the village and relatives of the deceased are protesting and accusing the police of negligence and demanding the arrest of the offender with strong political backing. However, your senior calls you and asks you to conceal and distort the truth.
(a) Identify the stakeholders and various dimensions of the crisis involved in the issue.
(b) What would be the course of action taken by you to manage the situation as a Superintendent of Police? Identify measures that can be taken to prevent rapes (250 words)09 Sep, 2022 GS Paper 4 Case Studies
Facts of the Case Stakeholders Involved Values
- Prevalence of communal riots in the recent past.
- Fleeing of Geeta and her daughter Roopa from their village.
- Case of rape and murder.
- Local police not filing the FIR.
- Public protest for arrest of the offender.
- Extreme pressure to distort the truth.
- Geeta and Roopa
- Local communities
- Offender (With strong political backing)
- Self (Superintendent of Police-SP)
- Whole District Administration
- Ethical dilemma: An ethical dilemma (ethical paradox or moral dilemma) is a problem in the decision-making process between two possible options, neither of which is absolutely acceptable from an ethical perspective.
- Personal v/s Professional Ethics: Following the superior's instructions to distort the truth or following the law in taking legal action against the offender impartially.
- Courage of Conviction v/s Senior Order: If he follows the supeior’s order without any reason or logic it will lead to loss of value of justice and if he will go for investigation on his own then it will be against senior’s order.
Options Merits Demerits
- Following superior's instructions
- It will increase his goodwill and reputation in front of his seniors and there are good chances of his promotion.
- Although following senior’s order comes under the code of conduct and not following it will lead to its violation but code is meant to ensure public justice and not to distort it. If senior’s orders are influenced by political masters then it will lead to loss of public interest and justice.
- Following Standard legal procedures
- It will be the right step in the direction of realization of value of justice and fairness. It will hep in ensuring the justice to victims of the crime and it is the right thing to do being an honest and responsible Public Servant.
- It may discredit the officer of the day before his seniors and there are chances that the whole department will be standing against him and there are also chances that he will get suspended.
Course of Action:
- Filing FIR
- Initiating preliminary inquiry and validating the facts.
- Assuring the villagers and relatives to provide impartial investigation.
- Initiating awareness drive against Rape.
- Actions to reduce communal violence.
- Being a Public servant it is my prime responsiblity to see that justice gets served to the victims and filing FIR is the first step in that direction.
- After filing FIR, I will go for a detailed investigation to find the facts of the case to establish the truth and to ensure that guilty should get punished.
- Before starting the investigation i should ensure to the common people that it would be impartial and will be based on facts to keep their trust intact on administration.
- The discussion over topics like sex and rape are still considered taboos in the Indian society. A rape victim becomes the victim of social ostracism and most of them commit suicides to save themselves from public shame. Thus, I will use the channels like local media and Local NGOS to spread the awareness amongst people about plight of rape victims and to sensitise them about rape victims.
- For ensuring peace and harmony in the society i will arrest the main leaders who are instigating the mob for riots and i will impose a pecuinary penalty on them. It will discourage the other mob leaderrs from instigating the riots and it will help in containing the riot.
To get PDF version, Please click on "Print PDF" button.Print PDF