Q. What does the following quotation mean to you?
“Life doesn’t make any sense without interdependence. We need each other, and the sooner we learn that, it is better for us all.”- Erik Erikson28 Apr, 2022 GS Paper 4 Theoretical Questions
- Begin by explaining the given statements in your words.
- Explain the necessity of interdependence in the society.
- Conclude suitably.
Interdependence is a connection between subjects where one subject’s needs can be fulfilled by the other subject’s resources and these transfer of resources works both ways. This kind of relationships can be found almost everywhere since, as humans, we need other people’s help to survive and strive.
Interdependence is important because
- It helps in shaping value inculcation in individuals and weaves society’s moral fabric.
- Being understood emotionally is a manifestation of interdependent reflection. Interdependence helps in understanding the emotional needs of self and others.
- Interdependence helps in differentiating responsibilities, which are important for effective action against climate change and environmental damage.
- In a democracy, interdependence among the organs of the government keeps it under checks and balances, and distribution of powers is managed.
- Intergenerational knowledge such as through indigenous knowledge systems, oral traditions, literature, religion etc. are sources of cultural ecosystem.
History, culture, ecology, and development are all interdependent. Climate change and development deficit are the most instructive examples of need of interdependence in the modern world. The chances of us seeing the best sustainable world in our lifetime is slim. But everything starts on the individual level. One will achieve more success and happiness when one is connected to those around themselves.
To get PDF version, Please click on "Print PDF" button.Print PDF