Important Facts For Prelims
Switch To Hindi
World Food Day
- 16 Oct 2019
- 2 min read
World Food Day is observed annually on October 16 to address the problem of global hunger.
- The theme for 2019 is ‘Our Actions are our Future; Healthy Diets for a #ZeroHunger World’.
- Achieving Zero Hunger is not only about addressing hunger, but also nourishing people while nurturing the planet.
- It emphasizes the Second Sustainable Goal (SDG 2) i.e. Zero hunger.
- The initiative aims to eradicate hunger as well as to address all types of malnutrition including obesity.
- According to the Global Burden of Disease Study (2017) by the University of Washington, malnutrition is among the leading causes of death and disability in India.
- The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) estimates that about 14.5% of the total population of India are undernourished.
- The Global Hunger Index 2018 ranks India 103 out of 119 countries on the basis of three leading indicators:
- The prevalence of wasting and stunting in children under five years of age.
- Child mortality rate under five years of age
- The proportion of undernourished in the population.
- World Food Day, 2019 calls for action across sectors to make healthy and sustainable diets affordable and accessible to everyone.
- At the same time, it aims to make everyone aware of nutritious dietary habits.