Smart India Hackathon
- 26 Aug 2022
- 3 min read
Why in News?
The Prime Minister of India addressed the Grand Finale of Smart India Hackathon 2022 via video conferencing.
What is the Smart India Hackathon?
- Smart India Hackathon (SIH) was started in the year 2017.
- Smart India Hackathon is a nationwide initiative to provide students with a platform to solve some of the pressing problems we face in our daily lives, and thus inculcate a culture of product innovation and a mindset of problem-solving.
- SIH has been conducted every year since 2017 in two formats, SIH Software and SIH Hardware Editions for higher education students.
- The first four editions SIH2017, SIH2018, SIH2019 and SIH2020 proved to be extremely successful in promoting innovation out-of-the-box thinking in young minds, especially engineering students from across India.
- Smart India Hackathon is an initiative by the Ministry of Education, All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), Persistent Systems and Inter Institutional Inclusive Innovation Centre (i4C).
- It aims to inculcate the culture of product innovation, problem-solving and out-of-the-box thinking among students.
- SIH 2022:
- The number of teams registered for SIH has seen a four-fold growth from around 7,500 in the first edition to about 29,600 in the ongoing fifth (2022) edition.
- More than 15,000 students and mentors are travelling to the 75 nodal centres to take part in the SIH 2022 grand finale.
- Students from over 2900 schools and 2200 Higher Education Institutions will tackle 476 problem statements from across 53 Union Ministries in the finale, including Optical Character Recognition (OCR) of Temple inscriptions and translations in Devanagari Scripts, IoT-enabled risk monitoring system in Cold Supply Chain for perishable food items, High-resolution 3D model of terrain, infrastructure and roads conditions in disaster struck areas, etc.
- This year, Smart India Hackathon - Junior has also been introduced as a pilot for school students to build a culture of innovation and develop problem-solving attitude at the school level.