Second Edition of Eat Right Mela
- 27 Dec 2019
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare inaugurated the 2nd edition of Eat Right Mela in New Delhi.
- Eat Right Mela is organised by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
- It is an outreach activity for citizens to nudge them towards eating right. It is organised to make citizens aware of the health and nutrition benefits of different types of food.
- The PURPLE Book, a handbook on diets for diseases was also launched.
- It provides general guidelines for hospitals on suitable diets for common medical conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, cancer, gut disorders etc. in a simple format and has been developed and vetted by experts in the field of food and nutrition.
- Network for Scientific Co-operation for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (NetSCoFAN) was also launched.
- It is a network of research & academic institutions working in the area of food & nutrition along with the NetSCoFAN directory, covering detailed information of various heads/Directors and lead scientists of lead and associated partnering institutions.
- It would comprise of eight groups of institutions working in different areas viz. biological, chemical, nutrition & labelling, food of animal origin, food of plant origin, water & beverages, food testing, and safer & sustainable packaging.
- It would identify research gaps in respective areas and collect, collate and develop database on food safety issues for risk assessment activities.
- The importance of ‘Save Food Share Food’ was emphasised.
- In this context, Indian Food Sharing Alliance (IFSA) seeks to reduce food waste and hunger and to feed the needy and hungry with surplus food through structured systems.