- 27 Sep 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana (SAUBHAGYA Scheme) has successfully completed four years of its implementation.
- 2.82 crore households have been electrified since its launch till 31st March, 2021.
- It was launched in 2017 to ensure electrification of all households in the country in rural as well as urban areas.
- Achieving Universal Household Electrification in the country, through last mile connectivity.
- Providing access to electricity to all un-electrified households in rural areas and poor households in urban areas.
- They are identified using Socio Economic and Caste Census (SECC) 2011 data.
- However, un-electrified households not covered under the SECC data would also be provided electricity connections under the scheme by paying Rs 500.
- Expected Outcomes:
- Environmental upgradation by substitution of Kerosene for lighting purposes.
- Improvement in education services.
- Better health services.
- Enhanced connectivity through radio, television, mobiles, etc.
- Increased economic activities and jobs.
- Improved quality of life especially for women.
- Related Initiatives: