- 08 Feb 2022
- 2 min read
Why in News?
Recently, the Ministry of Power has launched Powerthon-2022.
What is Powerthon-2022?
- It is a hackathon competition under RDSS (Revamped Distribution Sector Scheme) to find technology driven solutions to solve the complex problems in power distribution.
- The hackathon will see participation from startups, Technology Solution Providers (TSPs), educational and research institutions, equipment manufacturers and state power utilities and other power entities.
- The nine themes for the hackathon are -- demand/load forecasting, AT&C (Aggregate Technical and Commercial) loss reduction, energy theft detection, prediction of DT (Distribution Transformer) failure, asset inspection, vegetation management, consumer experience enhancement, renewable energy integration and power purchase optimisation.
What is RDSS?
- It was approved by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs in July 2021 to improve the operational efficiencies and financial sustainability of discoms (excluding Private Sector DISCOMs).
- It provides conditional financial assistance to strengthen the supply infrastructure of discoms (power distribution companies).
- All the existing power sector reforms schemes such as Integrated Power Development Scheme, Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana, and Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana will be merged into this umbrella program.
- The scheme will be available till 2025-26.
- RDSS is a Reform-based and Result-linked Scheme and the key objectives of RDSS are Reducing AT&C losses to 12-15%, eliminating the cost-revenue gap by 2024-25 and improving the quality & reliability of the power supply.
What are the other Schemes related to the Power Sector?
- Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana (Saubhagya).
- Integrated Power Development Scheme (IPDS).
- Deendayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY).
- GARV (Grameen Vidyutikaran) App.
- Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana (UDAY).
- ‘4 Es’ in the Revised Tariff Policy.