- 13 Nov 2019
- 2 min read
The Adani Group of Companies has expressed its interest in the Krishnapatnam port, as part of its plan to expand its reach in the east coast.
- Krishnapatnam Port is located in Nellore District in Andhra Pradesh.
- The Port has been named so as the Vijayanagar Emperor, Sri Krishnadevaraya used to operate this port.
- In the 1980s, the Government of India declared the Port as a ‘minor port’.
- The Union Government is responsible for development of 12 Major Ports whereas minor ports are under the jurisdiction of respective State Governments.
- Vijayanagara or “city of victory” was the name of both a city and an empire.
- The empire was founded in the fourteenth century (1336 AD) by Harihara and Bukka of Sangama dynasty.
- They made Hampi as the capital city. In 1986, Hampi was declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO.
- It stretched from the river Krishna in the north to the extreme south of the peninsula.
- Vijayanagar Empire was ruled by four important dynasties and they are:
- Krishnadevaraya (ruled 1509-29) of the Tuluva dynasty was the most famous ruler of Vijayanagar. His rule was characterised by expansion and consolidation.
- He is credited with building some fine temples and adding impressive gopurams to many important south Indian temples. He also founded a suburban township near Vijayanagar called Nagalapuram after his mother.
- He composed a work on statecraft in Telugu known as the Amuktamalyada.